Private Sector Housing

The University is not the only source of student accommodation in Guildford, and the Accommodation Office can give you help and advice in searching for good quality private sector accommodation.

Renting private accommodation

We've created a flow chart to help guide you through the decision-making process for renting private accommodation, including Woking and the surrounding areas, complete with useful links.

Download our private accommodation guide.


StudentPad, working with the University, provides a facility for searching for private sector housing in the local area.

The Accommodation Office takes steps to ensure that accommodation advertised is safe, but rooms and self contained houses/flats are not inspected.

You are strongly advised to ensure that the accommodation and the terms offered by landlords meet your needs before entering into a tenancy agreement.

StudentPad provides listings of University Managed and Private Sector Housing which is available to let to students in the area surrounding the University of Surrey.

For each property, details are shown such as location maps, interior and exterior photographs, rent amounts, and Landlord contact details. There is also a message board to contact other students looking for housemates, with available accommodation and lodging.

Other sources of housing

Letting agents

Many Letting Agents operate in the Guildford area, many of which advertise in the Property Section of the Surrey Advertiser newspaper.

All agents will take on staff and students for varied lengths of tenancies. You will not be charged to look at properties or to view lists, however you will be charged an administration fee if you decide to take a house. Check carefully, in advance, what the charges will be.

The university also provides an onsite lettings agency who will be able to help you with any questions you may have. Join their Facebook group to keep up to date with availability and announcements.

Local newspapers

Guildford's local newspaper, the Surrey Advertiser, is published every Friday. It has advertisements for rented property. You can also search for houses and flats on the newspaper's website.

Property search websites

Property search websites advertise houses and flats to let by agents and private individuals. We advise you not to pay a deposit or rent until you have met the Landlord and read the contract. Always get a written receipt for a deposit. The most used websites are RightmoveFind a propertyProperty finder, Homes&PropertyPropertywide, etc.

Contact us

To get in touch with our lettings team please email or phone 01483 681111.

You can also request access to our University of Surrey Lettings Facebook page.




More Information



Warning - Internet Fraud

If you are seeking private sector accommodation beware offers, via email, to rent houses or apartments which involve paying a large deposit and rent, in advance, before you have seen the accommodation or met the Landlord. The criminals who carry out these scams use pictures, passports and other documents in a sophisticated fraud to persuade you that the accommodation exists. Once they have collected your payment, contact ceases and you find that the promised accommodation is not available to you.

Page Owner: t00580
Page Created: Friday 3 December 2010 13:16:35 by cz0001
Last Modified: Thursday 22 December 2016 13:10:38 by m07811
Expiry Date: Saturday 3 March 2012 13:16:01
Assembly date: Thu Jan 05 11:48:55 GMT 2017
Content ID: 42844
Revision: 22
Community: 1319

Rhythmyx folder: //Sites/
Content type: rx:Generic