Frequently Asked Questions

Please check our FAQ session below before contacting us with questions. If you can't find the answer here, please contact us on

University Residences

I want to change the room I have been allocated. How do I go about this?

Once all new students have been housed, usually late October, residents may seek a room swap with another resident. All room swaps must be approved by Accommodation Services and are subject to an administration fee. For more information refer to the page on Room Swaps.

Will I need a TV licence?

If you will be watching live TV or BBC iPlayer from any device (TV or computer) you will need a TV licence.

I would like to move out early; how do I do this?

If you decide to move out of your accommodation before the end date of your booking you must give notice in writing by completing a withdrawal form and returning it to Accommodation Services in person or by email.

Please note; you may give notice to leave your room at the end of the First Semester without penalty. The deadline to give notice is in the current Residents' Guide.

If you wish to vacate your room earlier than the end of the First Semester you can advise Accommodation Services of your intentions using a Withdrawal Form. Please note you will be liable for the payment of your room rent up to the end of the First Semester unless we are able to re-let your room earlier. In the event that we are able to arrange a re-let, you need only pay until the date the new person moves in.

If notice is not received on or before the deadline in the Residents' Guide, then no rebate of rent will be given if you decide to leave before the end date specified in your licence agreement unless we are able to re-let your room. If you leave before the end of your licence you will be required to continue instalment payments until your account is cleared in full.

If you cease to be a student, because you withdraw from your course or the University terminates your course, the notice period is waived. You will remain liable for the rent until Accommodation Services have received written confirmation of your change in status, you have moved out and returned your key/s.

University Managed Houses

What if I want to leave my property early?

All contracts are for around 50 weeks. If you wish to leave early you will need to find a University of Surrey student to replace you in the property. In exceptional circumstances we may be able to help you end your contact earlier, please contact the Accommodation Office for more information.

Rent And Payment

Full details can be found on the Rent and Payment pages.

Page Owner: t00580
Page Created: Thursday 9 December 2010 13:18:52 by cz0001
Last Modified: Wednesday 15 February 2017 14:56:06 by ks0037
Expiry Date: Friday 9 March 2012 13:14:19
Assembly date: Thu Feb 16 11:00:16 GMT 2017
Content ID: 43447
Revision: 16
Community: 1319

Rhythmyx folder: //Sites/
Content type: rx:FAQList