Integrative interpretation of large-scale data
The module provides conceptual understanding and hands on experience of Bioinformatic tools for accessing and interpreting high-throughput -omics data.
- Data sharing standards and accessing publicly available large-scale data repositories (ENA, GEO, ArrayExpress, Metabolights, PRIDE).
- Genome Browsers as a resource for visualising and accessing information
- Annotation data repositories (for example, NCBI-ENTREZ, BRENDA, KEGG, SEED/RAST)
- Sequence homology for annotation (BLAST-based tools)
- Sequence analysis (RSAT)
- Gene ontology
- Functional enrichment analysis
- Molecular interaction data (IntAct, STRING)
- Using Cytoscape to integrate information and visualise as networks
- Examples of data integration
This online module aims to:
- Provide conceptual understanding of Bioinformatic approaches for analysing and interpreting high-throughput -omics data
- Allow students to critically analyse, interpret and integrate high-throughput data for understanding the response of a system given a particular perturbation.
- To increase awareness of the utility and need of computational sciences in the biosciences.
- To increase awareness of the major molecular concepts relevant to current systems biology research.
- To enable delegates to evaluate the quality of data and information.
On successful completion of this module students will be able to:
- Be able to independently identify suitable Bioinformatic approaches for analysing and interpreting high-throughput –omics data.
- Demonstrate an ability to interpret –omics data.
- Critically evaluate and interpret the analyses of different –omics methods.
- Be critically aware of the advantages and disadvantages of each data set.
- Comprehensively describe what each data set contributes to understanding a system.
- Integrate different –omic information.
Lecturer in Bioinformatics
At least a 2.2 degree (or equivalent) in a relevant biological sciences discipline. Applicants not possessing these qualifications may be considered, depending on the length and quality of their practical experience and recommendations from employers/supervisors.Apply Now