Quick Query Sessions
Quick Query' sessions are ideal for having your CV or covering letter checked, or for a short discussion with one of our advisers during a 15 minutes one-to-one session. If you find you still have further questions or more to discuss, you can always come to another session or book a longer appointment with an adviser.
Students and graduates are entitled to a maximum of one appointment (either a Guidance/Mock interview or a Quick Query appointment) per working week unless there are extenuating circumstances.
Before you see a Careers Adviser:
There are several steps you will need to take to both get started and to improve your CV.
- Read our careers information leaflets on Preparing for a Guidance Interview, Writing Effective CVs and Covering Letters and/or Application Forms
- Attend Employability & Career Centre events on Applications and CVs. These are led by both employers and careers advisers. Check our “Calendar of Careers Events” in the What's On section of the Employability & Career Centre website.
- View the “Online Application Forms” and other videos at the Employability & Careers Centre online video library.
The videos are password protected. You will need to use your student login and password to be able to view them. If your login doesn’t work, please call the Employability & Career Centre on 01483 689001 and we will be able to provide you with an alternative username and password.
There are lots of resources to help you. It's a good idea to look at a few examples and adopt the ideas that will work for you. Everyone's different, but you will be able to find inspiration from:
- Prospects is a great place to start, and includes lots of examples. Click on “Careers Advice” tab at the top of the webpage to check out the ‘CVs & covering letters’, ‘Job application advice’ and other sections
- TARGETjobs provides useful sector information with insights from recruiters in each industry to help you plan your CVs and applications.
The more preparation you do the more you will get from your one-to-one session with a Careers Adviser!
Employability & Career Centre Upcoming Sessions:
During Term Time:
Monday - Friday
14:00 - 16:00
During Student Vacation Periods:
Monday, Wednesday and Friday
14:00 - 15:00
To be able to secure a slot, you will need to come to the Employability & Career Centre in person on the afternoon when you would like your CV, covering letter or job application checked. The registration starts at 1.30pm and is valid for the same day only. You will then be able to choose a 15 minutes slot to come back for. Please note that this is a first come first served service.
Who is entitled to use this service:
- Current Students studying at the University of Surrey in any year of study
- Recent Graduates who have graduated from the University within the last three years