Dr Bogdan Vrusias
Qualifications: BSc TCA PhD FHEA
Phone: 01483 68 2261
Room no: 06 BB 02
BOGDAN VRUSIAS graduated with a BSc (Honours) in Computing and IT from the University of Surrey, UK, where he also accomplished his PhD in the area of multimedia and neural computing. He worked for the University of Surrey as a technology transfer associate in the area of data mining and neural networks from 1998 to 2001, then as a research officer for the EPSRC SoCIS project till 2004, followed by his current position as a lecturer in the area of intelligent and distributed systems. He belongs to the Biologically Inspired Modelling and Applications research group and his main areas of research include neural computing, multimedia information retrieval, distributed systems, business intelligence, image and video analysis, data mining, knowledge representation and management.
He teaches Web Technologies at the UG level and Enterprise Systems Development at the MSc level. He has more than 20 international, peer-reviewed publications, he has been the principal investigator of several EPSRC projects, he is a member of IEEE and he is a reviewer of numerous high quality international journals and conferences.
- Multimedia Information Retrieval
- Visual Information Processing and Retrieval
- Distributed Systems
- Collective Intelligence
- Semantics and Knowledge Representation
- Business Intelligence and Data Mining
- Neural Computing (Neural Networks, Machine Learning, etc)
- Vrusias, B. and Golledge, I., Adaptable Text Filters and Unsupervised Neural Classifiers for Spam Detection, Proceedings of the International Workshop on Computational Intelligence in Security for Information Systems CISIS’08, Genova, Italy, 2008
- Vrusias, B., Makris, D., Popoola, A. and Jones, G., A system for tracking and annotating illegally parked vehicles, IEEE International Workshop on Visual Surveillance, Marseille, France, 2008
- Newbold, N., Vrusias, B. and Gillam, L., Lexical Ontology Extraction Using Terminology Analysis: Automating Video Annotation, Proceedings of the Sixth International Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC'08), Marrakech, Morocco, 2008
- Vrusias, B., Vomvoridis, L., Gillam, L., Distributing SOM Ensemble Training using Grid Middleware, IEEE International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN 2007), Orlando, USA, 2007
- Vrusias, B., Makris, D., Renno, J.D., Newbold, N., Ahmad, K., Jones, G., A Framework for Ontology Enriched Semantic Annotation of CCTV Video, Eight IEEE International Workshop on Image Analysis for Multimedia Interactive Services (WIAMIS '07), Santorini, Greece, p. 5, 2007
- Ho, A.T.S, Zhu, X., Vrusias, B. and Armstrong, J., Digital Watermarking and Authentication for Crime Scene Analysis, IEE International Symposium for Crime Detection and Prevention, London, England, 2006
- Manomaisupat, P., Vrusias, B., and Ahmad, K., Categorization of Large Text Collections: Feature Selection for Training Neural Networks, Intelligent Data Engineering and Automated Learning - IDEAL 2006, LNCS Vol 4224, pp. 1003-1013, 2006.
- Vrusias, B., Tariq, M. and Gillam, L., Scene of Crime Information System: Playing at St. Andrews, Comparative Evaluation of Multilingual Information Access Systems: 4th Workshop of the Cross-Language Evaluation Forum, CLEF 2003, LNCS, Vol. 3237. 702 p., ISBN: 3-540-24017-9. pp 631-645, January 2005.
- Ahmad, K., Vrusias, B. and Zhu, M., Visualising an Image Collection?, Proceedings of the 9th international Information Visualization (IV05) conference, London, UK, 2005.
- Saragiotis, P., Vrusias, B., Ahmad, K., Learning to classify a collection of images and texts, 13th European Symposium on Artificial Neural Networks, Bruges, Belgium, April 2005.
- Ahmad, K. and Vrusias, Learning to Visualise High-Dimensional Data, 8th International Conference on Information Visualisation, London, UK, July 2004.
- Vrusias, B., Tariq, M. and Gillam, L., Scene of Crime Information System: Playing at St. Andrews, Working Notes for the CLEF 2003 Workshop, Trondheim, Norway, August 2003.
- Ahmad, K., Vrusias, B. and Oliveira, P.C.F. de, Summary Evaluation and Text Categorization, Proceedings of the 26th annual international ACM SIGIR conference, Toronto, Canada, pp. 443-444, 2003.
- Ahmad, K., Casey, M. Vrusias, B. and Saragiotis, P., Combining Multiple Modes of Information using Unsupervised Neural Classifiers, Proc. 4th International Workshop on Multiple Classifier Systems (MCS 2003, Guildford, UK) LNCS-2709, Heidelberg: Springer Verlag. pp 236-245, June 2003.
- Ahmad, K., Tariq, M., Vrusias, B. and Handy C. Corpus-Based Thesaurus Construction for Image Retrieval in Specialist Domains. In (Ed). Proc. 25th European Conf. on Inf. Retrieval Research (ECIR-03, Pisa, Italy) LNCS-2633. Heidelberg: Springer Verlag. pp 502-510, April 2003.
- Ahmad, K., Vrusias, B. and Tariq, M., Co-operative Neural Networks and Integrated Classification, Proceedings of the 2002 International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN'02) IEEE, Vol.2, pp.1546-1551, Piscataway, NJ, USA, May 2002.
- Ahmad, K., Vrusias, B. and Ledford, A., Choosing Feature Sets for Training and Testing Self-Organising Maps: A Case Study, Neural Computing & Applications, Volume 10, pp 56-66, 2001.
- Bale, T.A., Ahmad, K., and Vrusias, B., A Partially Recurrent Mixture-of-Experts Model for Task Decomposition into Temporal and Static Subtasks, Proceedings of the 1999 International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN'99) IEEE, Washington DC, USA, 1999.
- Ahmad, K., Bale, T.A., Burford, B. and Vrusias, B., Text classification and minimal-bias training vectors, Proceedings of the 1999 International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN'99) IEEE, Washington DC, USA, 1999.
- Director of MSc Information Systems and MSc Internet Computing (since 2006)
- MSDNAA Coordinator (since 2004)
- FEPS RAE Coordinator (since 2006)