Dr Bogdan Vrusias
Qualifications: BSc TCA MBA PhD FHEA
Phone: Work: 01483 68 2261
Room no: 06 BB 02
BOGDAN VRUSIAS graduated with a BSc (Honours) in Computing and IT from the University of Surrey, UK, where he also accomplished his PhD in the area of multimedia and neural computing. At the University of Surrey he also did an MBA within the Faculty of Law and Management. He worked for the University of Surrey as a technology transfer associate in the area of data mining and neural networks from 1998 to 2001, then as a research officer for the EPSRC SoCIS project till 2004, followed by his current position as a lecturer in the area of intelligent and distributed systems. His main areas of research include Web mining, multimedia information retrieval, distributed systems, business intelligence, image and video analysis, neural computing, data mining, knowledge representation and management.
He teaches Web Technologies at the UG level and at the MSc level Enterprise Systems Development and Web Hacking Countermeasures. He has more than 20 international, peer-reviewed publications, he has been the principal investigator of several EPSRC projects, he is a member of IEEE and he is a reviewer of numerous high quality international journals and conferences.
- Web Mining
- Multimedia Information Retrieval
- Visual Information Processing and Retrieval
- Distributed Systems
- Collective Intelligence
- Semantics and Knowledge Representation
- Business Intelligence and Data Mining
- Neural Computing (Neural Networks, Machine Learning, etc)
- Jun 2012 - Sep 2012 EPSRC Pathways to Impact (£13,000)
- Jan 2012 - Jul 2012 EPSRC Pathways to Impact (£10,000)
- Jul 2010 - Jan 2011 Web Entity Investment Profiling, KTA, EPSRC, (total budget £44,864, of which £18,464 from KTA)
- Feb 2010 - Jan 2012 SCA KTP, KTP007885 (total budget £122,486, of which £82,066 from KTP)
- Dec 2004 - Jun 2008 REVEAL, EPSRC, GR/S98450/01 (£156,525)
- Dec 1999 - March 2003 SOCIS, EPSRC, GR/M89041/01 (£174,546)
- Eftychiou A., Vrusias B. and Antonopoulos N., A Semantic-driven adaptive architecture for large scale P2P networks, Special issue of the International Journal of Grid and High Performance Computing, 2010
- Stafrace S. and Vrusias B. Unleashing Tactical Mobile Agents for Intrusion Detection in Wireless Ad Hoc Networks, IEEE World Congress on Internet Security (WorldCIS-2011), London, UK, 2011 (accepted)
- Eftychiou A. and Vrusias B., A knowledge driven architecture for efficient resource discovery in P2P networks, The 19th ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM2010), Toronto, Canada, 2010 (submitted)
- Qin G., Vrusias B. and Gillam L., Background Filtering for Improving of Object Detection in Images, 20th IEEE International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR), Istanbul, Turkey, 2010
- Qin G. and Vrusias B., Adaptable Models and Semantic Filtering for Object Recognition in Street Images, IEEE International Conference on Signal and Image Processing Applications 2009 (ICSIPA09), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 2009
- Vrusias, B. and Golledge, I., Online Self-Organised Map Classifiers as Text Filters for Spam Email Detection, Journal of Information Assurance and Security (JIAS), vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 151-160, 2009
- Vrusias, B. and Golledge, I., Adaptable Text Filters and Unsupervised Neural Classifiers for Spam Detection, Proceedings of the International Workshop on Computational Intelligence in Security for Information Systems CISIS’08, Genova, Italy, 2008
- Vrusias, B., Makris, D., Popoola, A. and Jones, G., A system for tracking and annotating illegally parked vehicles, IEEE International Workshop on Visual Surveillance, Marseille, France, 2008
- Newbold, N., Vrusias, B. and Gillam, L., Lexical Ontology Extraction Using Terminology Analysis: Automating Video Annotation, Proceedings of the Sixth International Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC'08), Marrakech, Morocco, 2008
- Vrusias, B., Vomvoridis, L., Gillam, L., Distributing SOM Ensemble Training using Grid Middleware, IEEE International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN 2007), Orlando, USA, 2007
- Vrusias, B., Makris, D., Renno, J.D., Newbold, N., Ahmad, K., Jones, G., A Framework for Ontology Enriched Semantic Annotation of CCTV Video, Eight IEEE International Workshop on Image Analysis for Multimedia Interactive Services (WIAMIS '07), Santorini, Greece, p. 5, 2007
- Ho, A.T.S, Zhu, X., Vrusias, B. and Armstrong, J., Digital Watermarking and Authentication for Crime Scene Analysis, IEE International Symposium for Crime Detection and Prevention, London, England, 2006
- Manomaisupat, P., Vrusias, B., and Ahmad, K., Categorization of Large Text Collections: Feature Selection for Training Neural Networks, Intelligent Data Engineering and Automated Learning - IDEAL 2006, LNCS Vol 4224, pp. 1003-1013, 2006.
- Vrusias, B., Tariq, M. and Gillam, L., Scene of Crime Information System: Playing at St. Andrews, Comparative Evaluation of Multilingual Information Access Systems: 4th Workshop of the Cross-Language Evaluation Forum, CLEF 2003, LNCS, Vol. 3237. 702 p., ISBN: 3-540-24017-9. pp 631-645, January 2005.
- Ahmad, K., Vrusias, B. and Zhu, M., Visualising an Image Collection?, Proceedings of the 9th international Information Visualization (IV05) conference, London, UK, 2005.
- Saragiotis, P., Vrusias, B., Ahmad, K., Learning to classify a collection of images and texts, 13th European Symposium on Artificial Neural Networks, Bruges, Belgium, April 2005.
- Ahmad, K. and Vrusias, Learning to Visualise High-Dimensional Data, 8th International Conference on Information Visualisation, London, UK, July 2004.
- Vrusias, B., Tariq, M. and Gillam, L., Scene of Crime Information System: Playing at St. Andrews, Working Notes for the CLEF 2003 Workshop, Trondheim, Norway, August 2003.
- Ahmad, K., Vrusias, B. and Oliveira, P.C.F. de, Summary Evaluation and Text Categorization, Proceedings of the 26th annual international ACM SIGIR conference, Toronto, Canada, pp. 443-444, 2003.
- Ahmad, K., Casey, M. Vrusias, B. and Saragiotis, P., Combining Multiple Modes of Information using Unsupervised Neural Classifiers, Proc. 4th International Workshop on Multiple Classifier Systems (MCS 2003, Guildford, UK) LNCS-2709, Heidelberg: Springer Verlag. pp 236-245, June 2003.
- Ahmad, K., Tariq, M., Vrusias, B. and Handy C. Corpus-Based Thesaurus Construction for Image Retrieval in Specialist Domains. In (Ed). Proc. 25th European Conf. on Inf. Retrieval Research (ECIR-03, Pisa, Italy) LNCS-2633. Heidelberg: Springer Verlag. pp 502-510, April 2003.
- Ahmad, K., Vrusias, B. and Tariq, M., Co-operative Neural Networks and Integrated Classification, Proceedings of the 2002 International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN'02) IEEE, Vol.2, pp.1546-1551, Piscataway, NJ, USA, May 2002.
- Ahmad, K., Vrusias, B. and Ledford, A., Choosing Feature Sets for Training and Testing Self-Organising Maps: A Case Study, Neural Computing & Applications, Volume 10, pp 56-66, 2001.
- Bale, T.A., Ahmad, K., and Vrusias, B., A Partially Recurrent Mixture-of-Experts Model for Task Decomposition into Temporal and Static Subtasks, Proceedings of the 1999 International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN'99) IEEE, Washington DC, USA, 1999.
- Ahmad, K., Bale, T.A., Burford, B. and Vrusias, B., Text classification and minimal-bias training vectors, Proceedings of the 1999 International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN'99) IEEE, Washington DC, USA, 1999.
- COM3014 - Advanced Challenges in Web Technologies
- COMM030 - Enterprise Systems Development
- COMM036 - Web Hacking Countermeasures
- UG Director of Studies (since 2012)
- MSDNAA Coordinator (since 2004)
- FEPS RAE Coordinator (since 2006)