Professional Training Year
We have strong links with industry which is one of the reasons why our undergraduates are some of the most employable in the country. Our professional training year helps you to gain the experience you need to stand out from the crowd, and the opportunity to gain graduate job offers from your placement companies. You can learn about some of our student's placement experiences in the videos below or see more on our YouTube PTY Video channel or if viewing from China on YouKu.
All of our undergraduate degrees offer the optional placement year. We provide dedicated support to help you find and apply for a placement position, as well as visits during your placement to make sure you are gaining the experience you need in a supportive environment.
Not only will you gain valuable experience in a real job, the placement year is also paid, with salaries from £14,000 p.a. On top of this, we find that placement students return with much improved time and project management, communication and team work skills. This is demonstrated through focussed study and determination to achieve good degrees.
Further details of the support we provide can be found in the resources for current students.
Finding a Placement
At the start of your second year, we help you apply for placement jobs through:
- Help with your CV
- Interview practice
- Linking you with employers
- Employer workshops
Supporting Your Placement
During your placement we visit you to:
- Help you settle in
- Assess the experience you are gaining
- Help you record your experience
- Surrey Computing Student, Vedika Dalmia, was awarded the prestigious University of Surrey Student of the Year for Professional Training in 2012. Click here for more detail.
- Placement students may help their employers with advancing their use of technology. Ben Hunt worked with Kent Police to improve their use of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Download article (PDF)