For all the important information regarding the admissions process, including entry qualifications, please click here. If you want to read more about our range of courses first, more information is below.
Our degree courses, which all can be taken as BEng and MEng degrees, are listed below:
All of our undergraduate degrees offer the optional placement year. We provide dedicated support to help you find and apply for a placement position, as well as visits during your placement to make sure you are gaining the experience you need in a supportive environment.
Not only will you gain valuable experience in a real job, the placement year is also paid, with salaries in the range of £14,000 to £20,000 p.a. On top of this, we find that placement students return with much improved time and project management, communication and team work skills. This is demonstrated through focussed study and determination to achieve good degrees.
Further details of the support we provide can be found in the Professional Training Year pages.
About the Department
Our Department is organised into four research centres - the Advanced Technology Institute, the Institute for Communication Systems (formerly the Centre for Communication Systems Research, CCSR), the Centre for Vision, Speech and Signal Processing and the Surrey Space Centre. In the most recent UK assessment of our research (called the Research Assessment Exercise), our Department was ranked second nationally in Electronic and Electrical Engineering for the high quality of our research. Each of the Research Centres contributes to the Department's teaching ensuring that our curriculum is as up-to-date as possible.
We have put together a FAQ section which should answer any questions you have about the admissions process, qualifications and scholarships that we offer. Of course, an ideal way of finding out just how good we are is to come and visit us on one of our open days. You will hear about what we can offer you in terms of university experience and career choices. If you do have any questions feel free to contact us.
Watch our open day video
Facts and Figures
- Ranked 2nd for Electronic Engineering in the UK in the 2014 Guardian league tables
- Ranked 4th out of 73 Departments for teaching and research in the 2014 Complete University Guide
- Highest rating for Electronic and Electrical Engineering Departments in the UK in the last Research Assessment Exercise with 70% of our research profile ranked as "world leading" or "internationally excellent"
- Fully integrated placement year programmes to give you the additional experience of working in industry, helping employability
- The University has topped the UK Graduate Employment Statistics for employment or further training by our graduates six months after they leave