Language Study Area
The Library & Learning Centre has a Language Study area on the second floor (LC02), full of resources for learning languages. We have a selection of materials including sections for Chinese, English, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish.
By studying between classes, you can work at your own speed and concentrate on those aspects of the language most important to you. Building confidence and practice are crucial to successful language-learning.
Here are some of the ways you can do this.
- Use DVDs and audio material to sharpen your listening skills.
- Watch live satellite TV in many of our taught languages including French, Spanish, German, Portuguese and Italian (see our What's On? page for details about the channels we have available)
- Watch international films with soundtracks in eleven different languages.
- Read foreign language magazines which we subscribe to weekly and monthly.
- Choose from a range of books and materials graded and colour-coded for easy access to your language and level.
- Use dictionaries and grammar books available for reference.
- Use the 32 networked PCs offering
- over 70 interactive programmes to help you learn up to 19 languages;
- the opportunity to practise subtitling and audio description on specialist software;
- access to the Internet to catch up on the news abroad, listen to live radio broadcasts on-line; or use the links on the right to access our web pages for language learners.
Click on the link below to see our location within the Library & Learning Centre:
Opening Dates & Times:
Our opening dates and times are the same as the Library's so please check for details of our extended Library opening dates and times.
Our Help Desk is staffed Monday to Friday from 10.00 to 19.00. These times may vary during the winter and spring break.