The International Care Ethics (ICE) Observatory
A Collaboration between the University of Surrey and the Ethox Foundation
Welcome to the International Care Ethics (ICE) Observatory website
The ICE Observatory is based in the School of Health and Social Care, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences at the University of Surrey, Guildford, UK. It was launchedon 5th February 2014 and succeeds the International Centre for Nursing Ethics which was established in 1999 by Verena Tshudin and Geoffrey Hunt.
The overall aim of the International Care Ethics (ICE) Observatory is to engage in research and scholarship that illuminates the importance and complexity of care activities and underpins innovative and effective interventions that develop and sustain ethical care practices. The ICE Observatory acts as an inter-disciplinary, national and international hub of educational, organisational and research expertise and activity to revalue care and promote an in-depth understanding of, and commitment to, ethics in health and social care.
The objectives are to:
- Undertake high quality philosophical and empirical collaborative research and scholarship in ethics of care;
- Advocate for the rights and interests of those who receive care, their families and friends, and of care-givers;
- Disseminate research findings and scholarship that impact positively and meaningfully on care practices;
- Develop, implement and evaluate ethics educational interventions;
- Provide consultancy and leadership education that promotes ethical practices in care organisations; and
- Work in partnership with, and be advised by, key stakeholders to continue to develop a care ethics research programme and sustainable strategies that support ethical care practices.
The ICE Observatory hosts the journal Nursing Ethics and disseminates information and resources via the Ethicists Bulletin and the Nursing Ethics Journal
We hope that you will become a regular visitor to this site and contribute news and information regarding care ethics activities and also items for discussion and debate. We look forward also to seeing you at future conferences.
4 May 2016
Ethics and Human Rights in Healthcare
17th Nursing Ethics Conference, incorporating the 2nd International Ethics in Care Conference
14th & 15th September 2016
15 February 2016
Care in Practice: On the Philosophy and Implementation of Care Ethics
1st - 2nd June 2016 - Humanities Research Institute, University of Sheffield, UK
ICE Observatory Events