The University of Surrey uses a Competency Framework in the selection process for all non-academic vacancies.
- Once a job has closed for applications, candidates are shortlisted against the Core Competencies outlined in the Job Purpose.
- Once shortlisted candidates have been identified, they will be contacted by the relevant HR representative who will invite them for interview. We endeavour to get in touch with candidates within two weeks of the closing date at the latest.
- In order to concentrate our resources where they are most needed, we are unable to keep in contact with every applicant. Consequently, if you do not hear from us within six weeks of the closing date, you should assume that your application has been unsuccessful.
- In some cases, we will need to seek references prior to interview, in others we will only seek these once a conditional job offer has been made, however in all cases we require receipt of at least two satisfactory references before an individual can start work.
- In most cases candidates are considered by a panel of interviewers, but you should be advised of what to expect when you receive your interview invitation.
- In some cases, the interview process may involve two or three stages of interview, but again, you should be advised of what to expect when you receive your invitation.
- Some interviews are conducted via telephone, Skype, or video conference.
- For some positions you may be asked as part of the interview process to give a short presentation on a particular topic (this is particularly standard practice for academic posts).
- In all cases, we do our best to ensure that all candidates are given a fair, equal and appropriate opportunity to demonstrate their ability to do the job.
- If you are successful at interview you will be contacted by the relevant HR representative and offered the job. It is normal for offers to be conditional on receipt of satisfactory references and a standard Occupational Health check. Once we have completed all the necessary pre-employment checks and agreed on a start date with you, you will then be issued with an unconditional offer of employment and contract.
- You will be required to indicate your acceptance of this offer by signing and returning the Principal Statement.
- We require all successful applicants to provide evidence of their right to work in the UK.
- Applicants should therefore ensure that they meet the requirement of the points based criteria as defined by the UK Border Agency.