Quality and Standards Subcommittee
Chair: Professor Andrew Lockwood
Vice-Chair: Professor Shirley Price
Two members from each Faculty appointed by the Senate
Vice-President (Education), USSU
Senior Assistant Registrar (Quality Support)
Mr Glenn Moulton, Assistant Registrar (Quality Support), Secretary
Senior Assistant Registrar (Associated Institutions)
Terms of Reference
- The Quality and Standards Subcommittee shall be responsible to the University Learning and Teaching Committee and Senate for the co-ordination and implementation of the validation and periodic review of all award-bearing programmes of study delivered by the University and its Associated Institutions.
- To that end:
- academic staff members of the Committee shall chair the validation/review exercises on a basis to be agreed among themselves annually;
- the Subcommittee shall approve the remaining membership of validation/review panels in accordance with the Academic Standards Guidelines;
- the Subcommittee shall receive, consider and, where appropriate, approve the reports of validation/review panels and report the outcomes to the University Learning and Teaching Committee (and subsequently to the Senate);
- The Subcommittee shall receive and consider proposals for programme revision in accordance with the requirements of the Academic Standards Guidelines.
- The Subcommittee shall receive and consider an overview report on the effectiveness of the Annual Programme Review process and common issues arising from the APRs that require a University response.
- The Subcommittee shall be responsible, by means of a rolling programme of Faculty Visits, for reviewing the effectiveness the quality assurance and enhancement processes within faculties and for ensuring that these processes meet the requirements of the Academic Standards Guidelines.
- The Subcommittee shall, in conjunction with the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic Development), be responsible for ensuring the effectiveness of the external examining process and will consider an overview report on the process and issues raised by external examiners. The Committee will bring to the attention of the University Learning and Teaching Committee and Senate as necessary recommendations for quality enhancement or changes to the University’s regulations arising from external examiners’ reports.
- The Subcommittee shall receive, consider and, where appropriate approve, Annual Statements from the University’s Accredited Institutions and report on such to the University Learning and Teaching Committee (and subsequently Senate) annually.
- To receive reports on Professional, Statutory and Regulatory Body accreditation exercises
- To receive and consider an annual analysis of degree results and, as necessary recommend actions emerging from this to ULTC.
- The Subcommittee may devolve any specific functions to a member of group of members.
- The Subcommittee shall report regularly to ULTC and through ULTC to the Senate. It shall also refer to ULTC for consideration any matter pertaining to the principles of practice of programme validation or periodic review, external examining, annual programme review or general regulations which it believes requires consideration or revision.
- Voting at a meeting shall be by single vote per member present; in the event of a tied vote, the Chair shall have a single casting vote.
- The Subcommittee shall meet at least twice each semester or more frequently as business dictates.
- A meeting of the Committee shall be quorate when five members, including the Chair or Vice-Chair, are present.