Assistive Technology Centre
The Assistive Technology Centre (ATC) is based on the 4th floor, next to the ALS office.
- The ATC is for the use of ALS students only
- You need swipe card access to enter.
The ATC has four computers with printing and scanning facilities. The specialist software on the computers includes;
- Texthelp Read and Write – reads texts on the computer aloud, helps particularly with proofreading
- Inspiration/Mindgenius – mind-mapping programmes to help organise information in a visual way
- Dragon Naturally Speaking – will turn speech into text
- SPSS – used for statistical analysis
- JAWS - for those with visual impairment, reads text aloud and enables easy navigation around documents
- Braille Embosser – turns text into Braille.
- DAISY - for those with visual impairment, reads text aloud and enables easy navigation around documents. It also has a recording facility.
- GINGER – checks spelling and grammar
- MATLAB – for solving technical computing problems (algorithm development, data analysis and numerical computation)
There are also lockers in the ATC which can be used by students who have mobility difficulties.
Loan of Equipment
ALS can loan you a digital recorder, if you are an International student or whilst you wait for your equipment from DSA