● The paper can be RCUK or non-RCUK funded.
● The applicant would normally be the principal investigator.
● The journal should be in the top quartile in its field.
● The Green option does not allow compliance within the specified embargoes.
These criteria are flexible, as every case is considered individually. For example, if the grant expired more than 5 years ago or the Green option allows compliance, you may still decide to make a case for receiving funds for Gold open access. This case should include a support statement from your Faculty’s Associate Dean (Research).
When to apply
You should apply before you submit to the journal, especially if Gold is the only option and you need to know whether your open access costs can be covered.
However it may be possible to apply as soon as the paper is accepted for publication, if you have not already applied. Please do not opt for the Gold option on acceptance, unless you have secured funds to cover the open access costs. You will be presented with an invoice that you may be unable to pay.
How to apply
You should have the following information to hand:
- Grant number, project code and principal investigator
- Paper title, authors and affiliations, journal name and ranking
- Please complete sections 1 to 3 of the APC form on the right of this page and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If the paper has been accepted, email a copy to SRI along with the acceptance letter to email@example.com
What happens next
- The application is considered against the criteria and then the budget holder (RES or LLSS) will make a final decision.
- If an application is approved, the SRI team communicates this to you and asks you to raise the invoice.
- When you receive the invoice, please forward it to firstname.lastname@example.org for payment.