Find out if you are eligible for Gold Open Access funding and how to apply.
● The paper can be RCUK or non-RCUK funded.
● The applicant would normally be the principal investigator.
● The Green option does not allow compliance within the specified embargoes.
These criteria are flexible, as every case is considered individually. For example, if the grant expired more than 5 years ago or the Green option allows compliance, you may still decide to make a case for receiving funds for Gold open access. This case should include a support statement from your Faculty’s Associate Dean (Research).
When to apply
You should apply before you submit to the journal, especially if Gold is the only option and you need to know whether your open access costs can be covered.
However it may be possible to apply as soon as the paper is accepted for publication, if you have not already applied. Please do not opt for the Gold option on acceptance, unless you have secured funds to cover the open access costs. You will be presented with an invoice that you may be unable to pay.
Please note: some funders, like the Wellcome trust or Leverhulme Trust, expect you to cost Gold open access either in your grant application or during the life of the grant. In those cases we would expect Open Access costs to be covered directly by the funder, not the Library budget.
How to apply
You should have the following information to hand:
• Grant number, project code and principal investigator
• Paper title, authors and affiliations, journal name and ranking
Please complete and submit the online APC form.
• If the paper has been accepted, email a copy to SRI along with the acceptance letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
What happens next.
• The application is considered against the criteria and then the budget holder (RIS or LLSS) will make a final decision.
• If an application is approved, the Library communicates this to you and asks you to raise the invoice.
• When you receive the invoice, please forward it to email@example.com for payment.
For APC queries please contact - firstname.lastname@example.org