Can I get an Interlibrary Loan?
Yes, if you need a book, journal article or other material that is not available in this Library. This costs the Library £14.65 for a book and £10.92 for a document so please only ask for items which are essential to your research or study.
Users may have up to eight requests in progress at one time.
Alumni, external members and visitors are not eligible for this service. They may be able to request Interlibrary Loans through public libraries or via the British Library Document Supply Service.
What do I need to do?
To request an ILL via SurreySearch:SurreySearch ILL Requests (241.45KB - Requires Adobe Reader)
How will my InterLibrary Loan be delivered?
This will depend on the delivery method chosen on the form. The default is Secure Electronic Delivery, or the item can be delivered to your department, or kept in the Library to pick up. You will be notified by email when your item is available.
Before ordering articles by Secure Electronic Delivery (SED) you should ensure that you have the software required to download them.
You will need any version of Adobe Reader from version X, and a FileOpen plug-in - these are available to download for free. If your school/department has restrictions on downloading and installing software, please pass this information to your IT support team.
You can check if you have the FileOpen plug-in by downloading the test document available on the British Library website:
Go to http://fileopen.bl.uk and click on the PDF test
Please note that SED does not currently work with old versions of Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you have these versions installed, please uninstall them and re-install a more current version available from: http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/
- When your item is ready you will receive an email containing instructions from the British Library and the link to your document(s).
- Please note that you can activate the link and print the article only once, but you can view it on the same computer for up to 3 years from the date the British Library sent the article out. The article must be downloaded within 30 days of the British Library email notification. Any file not accessed in time will have to be re-requested from the British Library at a further cost.
- You may not make any further electronic copies or convert the file into any other format.
- You may not cut and paste or otherwise alter the text.
- You should take into consideration any time away (vacation, or travel for work purposes) that may result in you being unavailable to access and print out the document within the 30 day time period, BEFORE submitting a request.
Items for loan
- You will be notified by e-mail when the item arrives. All items MUST BE COLLECTED IN PERSON from the Support Hub, please show your campus card.
Most items can be taken out of the library, but it is completely at the discretion of the lending library.
- A standard loan is for 5 weeks, although this may vary.
- If you wish to renew, please contact the InterLibrary Loans Team and they will check with the lending library if this is possible. Any permitted Inter Library Loan renewals are charged at £4.85 each. Lending libraries reserve the right to recall the item at any time.
- Please take care of your Interlibrary Loans. If you do not return an item by the due date you may be fined the standard £4.85 British Library charge. If an item is not returned or lost, you will be invoiced for the cost of a replacement. The British Library's minimum replacement charge is £182.82.
How long will it take?
Most items come within a week of being ordered, but items will take longer if:
- There is a waiting list
- The item is not held by the British Library and we have to apply elsewhere
- We cannot trace the item from your reference and you will be asked to check your source again
How can I get help?
Email email@example.com where InterLibrary Loan staff are here to help you during office hours.