WHO IS AN AUTHORISED USER?
Authorised users are current staff and students of the University of Surrey, who are permitted to access the campus network and who have been issued by the University of Surrey with a password or other authentication.
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
Authorised users may usually print/download a single copy of an article from a journal issue or one chapter or 5% of an e-book for personal use for research or private study.
In some cases, depending on the terms of licence, lecturers can upload individual articles to SurreyLearn for the use of students enrolled on a course of study. For more information about this, please see Linking to Online Articles.
WHAT CAN'T YOU DO?
The following kinds of use are normally prohibited unless you have the permission of the copyright owner:
- Distribution e.g. downloading a PDF and sending it as an email attachment
- Republishing e.g. putting a document protected by copyright on a web server for others to access
- Alteration e.g. removing any proprietary marking or copyright statement from any copy made
- Reproduction e.g. making multiple copies
- Systematic downloading e.g. downloading every article in a journal issue or a whole e-book
- Commercial use e.g. using databases for commercial research while on a work placement.