Students raise thousands in cash for top heart charity by clearing out their rooms
Thursday 9 August 2012
Students at the University of Surrey have raised thousands of pounds for the UK’s leading heart charity by recycling unwanted items from their rooms at the end of the academic year.
Items like CDs, books and clothing has all been donated at special collection sites across the campus in Guildford with all proceeds going to the British Heart Foundation (BHF).
The successful partnership has seen 11 tons of unwanted items donated, generating £15,000 for the nations heart charity’s network of over 700 Shops.
Throughout the scheme students were incredibly supportive and made full use of the donation drop off point, particularly for the end-of-term clear out to recycle their unwanted items in an easy and environmentally friendly way.
Richard Wilkins, Portering and Waste Supervisor at the University, said: “This recycling campaign went very well from beginning to end. The students have really put in a marvellous effort in conjunction with the Students’ Union and University staff. We have prevented a lot of items needlessly going to landfill sites and backed a fantastic cause at the same time”.
BHF Area Manager, Julie Paffett, comments: “The response from the students at Surrey has been fantastic. Each BHF Shop needs to receive 400 bags of unwanted items a week to continue their lifesaving work.
"This scheme has been a huge help to our Shops surrounding Guilford Area – including Godalming, Dorking and Aldershot and I’d like to encourage students to continue supporting BHF and our life saving work.”
BHF Shops are reliant on donations of good quality clothing, shoes, accessories, CDs, DVDs, books, toys and bric-a-brac to help the fight against heart disease.
To locate your nearest BHF Shop visit bhf.org.uk/shops or call 0844 412 5000.
The BHF is keen to hear from other local businesses who are interested in helping the nation’s heart charity generate donations for their Shops. Visit insert website or call insert number for more information.
Notes to editors
• Last year BHF Shops raised over £26 million to help the BHF fight heart disease the nation’s single biggest killer.
• BHF Shops sell 90,000 items everyday and have over 20,000 volunteers.
• The BHF now has over 700 Shops.
• The charity now has over 130 Furniture and Electrical Stores across England, Scotland and Wales.
• The British Heart Foundation (BHF) is the nation’s heart charity, dedicated to saving lives through pioneering research, patient care, campaigning for change and by providing vital information. But we urgently need help. We rely on donations of time and money to continue our life-saving work. Because together we can beat heart disease.
Howard Wheeler, Press Office at the University of Surrey, Tel: +44 (0)1483 686141, or Email firstname.lastname@example.org