Professional Training Year
How about the unique chance to spend a year working at Europe's leading satellite maker, at international companies like IBM or BAe systems, or to do research on cancer treatment in sunny Florida - as part of your Physics degree? You will be paid as you gain valuable experience. It may sound too good to be true - but our Physics students regularly find themselves in these various exciting locations on their optional year of Professional Training.
All our BSc students have the option of a Professional Training Year. This is year off campus between the 2nd and 3rd years of study. Most commonly, placements are in UK companies, although a number of students have worked in government labs, and overseas.
We have a guide to how the placement year at the University of Surrey works.
Where do our students go for their Professional Training Year?
In the academic year 2014/2015 we placed 16 BSc students, at:
- RAL (Rutherford Appleton Laboratory) Space
- NPL (National Physical Laboratory)
- Lloyds Banking Group (Risk department)
- Martin Baker (maker of ejection seats)
- STFC (Science & Technology Facilities Council) (2 students)
- Rutherford Labs STFC (Vulcan Laser)
- DSTL (Defence Science and Technology Laboratory)
- Reed's School
- RSCH (Royal Surrey County Hospital)
- Wells Fargo Bank