We offer undergraduate, postgraduate masters and postgraduate research programmes in politics. All of our programmes will leave you with a set of skills that you can apply to any area of life, not just politics. We cover a wide range of topics from international intervention, European politics, electoral behaviour and political psychology, terrorism, social policy and citizenship, political theory and political philosophy, political communication and the environment.
Why Does Politics Matter?
We asked our students, staff and the people of Guildford and London. This is their answer:
Politics Studies degree at Surrey
- Benefit from the opportunity to spend a Professional Training year with an organisation committed to social or political change
- You will learn to apply political ideas to real-world concerns - international, national and local
- Gain from the strong focus placed on international politics
- Excellent teaching and research quality ratings
- Innovation teaching methods - including simulations of political negotiations
- Enjoy excellent support in preparing for a wide range of graduate careers
The School’s alumni are engaged in a range of professions across the world.
65% of the School’s graduates live in the UK and the remaining 45% live in 33 other countries.
The most common professions among the School’s alumni are:
2) Research Associate
3) Library Assistant
14th in the Guardian University Subject League Table 2013
17th in the Complete University Guide 2013
1st in the UK for Graduate Employment Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA)
"Academic staff in the School of Politics are distinguished not only by their excellent research but by their commitment to best practice in pedagogy" Read more
Dr Maxine David, Undergraduate Programme Coordinator
Study Exchange "gives students a chance to develop key skills including adaptability, independence, problem-solving, communication and people skills" Read more
Dr Laura Chappell, Senior Placements Tutor
"The teaching experience was really good, with our lecturers having a wonderful breadth of knowledge within their area of expertise."
Steve Cottingham, BA (Hons) Politics
"I relished the challenges and adventures my placement brought" Read more
Lucy Doggett, BA International Politics
“The methods of study are exciting and challenging” Read more
Connie Musallam, MA International Politics