University Learning and Teaching Committee (ULTC)
The University Learning and Teaching Committee (ULTC) is the key strategic committee of Senate responsible for all aspects of learning and teaching and the student experience. It has four sub-committees: Admissions, Quality and Standards, Student Experience, and Widening Participation and Outreach. The Committee's terms of reference and membership can be found below.
The Faculty Learning and Teaching Committees (FLTC) also feed into ULTC via the Associate Dean (Learning and Teaching) and have common terms of reference and membership.
Terms of reference
- To consider and formulate University policy and strategy relating to the development, evaluation , quality assurance and enhancement of teaching and learning. In particular, these will include teaching processes, learning support, assessment, innovations, facilities and resources, admissions, widening participation and outreach
- To oversee and monitor the effective implementation of these policies and strategies through agreed action plans
- To consider and make recommendations from time to time to the Senate for revisions to the University's quality framework, articulated in Codes of practice. In particular to ensure that the Codes of practice take appropriate account of the Quality Assurance Agency's UK Quality Code for Higher Education and to make recommendations to the Senate for revisions as necessary
- To receive reports from the Quality and Standards Sub-committee on the implementation of quality assurance processes for which it is responsible in order to assure itself and Senate (i) that there is engagement and compliance with such processes (ii) that processes remain fit for purpose. In particular the Sub-committee is responsible for the programme approval and review, annual monitoring and external examining
- To oversee arrangements to prepare the University for Higher Education Review by the Quality Assurance Agency (as necessary through the establishment of one or more ad hoc working groups)
- To receive and consider reports and recommendations from the Quality and Standards Sub-committee, Student Experience Sub-committee, Widening Participation and Outreach Sub-committee and Admissions Sub-committee
- To report to Senate at least annually on developments within its area of responsibility
|Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Learning and Teaching)|
|Pro-Vice-Chancellor (International Relations)|
|Vice-President Voice, Students' Union|
|Associate Dean (Learning and Teaching) FASS x 2|
|Associate Dean (Learning and Teaching) FEPS|
|Associate Dean (Learning and Teaching) FHMS|
|Head, Department of Higher Education|
|Head, Department of Technology Enhanced Learning|
|Head of Academic Appeals and Academic Quality|
|Director of Quality Enhancement and Standards|
|Director, Library and Learning Support Services|
|Director of Library and Learning Support Services|
|Director of Recruitment and Admissions|
|Director of Employability|
|Associate Dean for Postgraduate Researchers|
|Academic Quality Officer (Quality Enhancement and Taught Programmes) (Committee Secretary)||Dr Svetlana Reston|
The Committee can co-opt additional members as required for specific purposes
Period of appointment
All members are ex-officio and will remain members of the Committee for as long as they hold such posts. Co-opted members will remain as members for as long as their purpose on the Committee is required.
Frequency of meetings
Meetings are held four times during the academic year, normally October, January, April and June. Additional meetings may be held at the discretion of the Chair.
The quoracy requirements are ten members or not less than one-third of the members, whichever may be the less. In the event of a tied vote, the chair shall have a casting vote.
Quality and Standards Sub-committee
Student Experience Sub-committee
Widening Participation and Outreach Sub-committee