Launch of the European Tourism Indicator System for Sustainable Management of Destinations
- Friday 22 February 2013
- Crowne Plaza Brussels – Le Palace, www.crowneplazabrussels.be/
- Open to:
- Admission price:
- Admission information:
- Targeted at tourism experts, DMOs, tourist boards and academics. Registration is now closed
The University of Surrey, in collaboration with Sustainable Travel International and The INTASAVE Partnership, have been engaged by the European Commission to complete a ground-breaking project finalising and testing the European Tourism Indicator System for the sustainable management of destinations.
The aim of this initiative is to provide tourism destination stakeholders and, in particular, Destination Management Organisations (DMOs) across Europe with a tested, improved and easy to use toolkit and system of indicators with which they can assess, monitor and manage the sustainability of their tourism destinations.
This one day conference will bring together tourism experts, the European Commission, the project team and tourism stakeholders for the launch of the European Tourism Indicator System.
The European Tourism Indicator System is a key element of the work of the European Commission to promote an internationally competitive industry and to enhance the sustainability of destinations across Europe.
Previous projects that focused on this issue included working with the Commission's Tourism Sustainability Group (TSG) of experts on the development of a core set of indicators, and testing this core set of indicators in selected EDEN and NECSTouR destinations.
The European Commission aims to move towards more comprehensive, inclusive and sustainable ways of working, by providing a system for local, national and regional authorities to use, on a voluntary basis, which will add value to the European tourism experience.
The long term aim is that it will serve as a guide to policy makers and other destination stakeholders, to maximise the benefits derived from using the European Tourism Indicator System.
By attending this conference, you will:
- Learn how to implement the system of indicators in your destination
- Understand the value and benefits of using the system for monitoring sustainability
- Discover how to improve and enhance your destination’s sustainability, visitation and long-term success
- Hear experiences from representatives from pilot destinations who have tested the system
- Be the first to receive the European Tourism Indicator System Toolkit and Dataset before being launched Europe-wide
The proceedings will be interpreted into French and German throughout the entire day, while the main language of the conference will be English.
The workshop is free of charge, but registration is required as places are limited.