Dr Christina Silver
Qualifications: B.A. (Essex) M.Sc. PhD (Surrey)
Phone: Work: 01483 68 9455
Room no: 03 AD 03
Wednesday 9am - 5.30pm
Thursday 9am - 3.30pm
Christina graduated from Essex University in 1997 in Politics and Sociology, after which she came to Surrey and completed the Social Research Methods M.Sc. with distinction and she obtained her ESRC funded PhD comparing the development of school-based sex education in England and Wales and the Netherlands in 2002.
Christina has been working with the CAQDAS Networking Project on an ad hoc basis since 1998 and joined the Project formally in 2002 as part-time Resource Officer and Course Tutor. She is now the CAQDAS Networking Project Manager.
The Project provides platforms of debate concerning the use of Computer Assisted Qualitative Data AnalysiS (CAQDAS). We train students and researchers in a number of CAQDAS packages, run an advisory telephone help-line, website, the ‘qualitative software' electronic discussion list and develop and teach new courses. Christina also advises and trains research teams on their use of CAQDAS software.
The CAQDAS Networking Project is currently working on a new project funded by the ESRC National Centre for Research Methods (NCRM). Qualitative Innovations in CAQDAS (QUIC) explores three new breaking developments in the use of CAQDAS alongside our training and capacity building activities. The first concerns the support that software provides for integrating qualitative and quantitative data, the second the analysis of multi-stream visual data and the third the convergence of GIS and CAQDAS technology. We are developing exemplars and self-learning materials.
As well as working with the CAQDAS Networking Project, Christina has been commissioned to carry out research projects for a number of independent organisations including a collaborative Action Research Project between East Sussex Hospitals NHS Trust, the Centre for the Development of Health Care Policy and Practice (CDNPP) at Leeds University and the Facilities Management Graduate Centre (FMGC) at Sheffield Hallam University. Christina is also an Associate Consultant for the Centre for the Development of Nursing Policy and Practice (CDNPP) at Leeds University.
- 'Finding Fidelity : Advancing Audiovisual Analysis using Software'. Forum Qualitative Sozialforschung / Forum: Qualitative Social Research, 12 (1) Article number 37 . (2011)
- 'Qualitative Research Design for Software Users'. SAGE PUBLICATIONS INC FIELD METHODS, 21 (4), pp. 416-418. . (2009)
- 'Masculinity and femininity: The taboo dimension of national cultures'. ROUTLEDGE ETHNIC AND RACIAL STUDIES, 23 (6), pp. 1125-1126. . (2000)
- 'Camera set-up, image placement and interactive devices in virtual learning environments. Increasing the feeling of co-presence and interactivity in Access Grid mediated sessions'. Orlando, Florida: The 9th International Conference on Education and Information Systems, Technologies and Applications: EISTA 2011 .
- 'Computer Assisted Analysis of Qualitative Research: trends, potentials and cautions'. in Leavy P (ed.) The Oxford Handbook of Qualitative Research Methods
Oxford University Press
[ Status: Accepted ]
- 'Computer assisted qualitative data analysis'. in Peterson P, Baker E, McGraw B (eds.) International Encyclopedia of Education 3rd Edition. Oxford : Elsevier 6, pp. 326-334. . (2010)
- 'Participatory approaches to social research'. in Gilbert N (ed.) Researching Social Life 3rd Edition. SAGE Publications Ltd. Article number 6 , pp. 101-124. . (2008)
- 'Using Computer Packages in Qualitative Research'. in Willig C, Stainton-Rogers W (eds.) Handbook of Qualitative Research in Psychology London : Sage . (2008)