What to pack
If it’s your first time moving into student accommodation, it can be quite difficult to know what to bring. Try using our checklist below when you start to pack.
Storage space is limited so you need to be careful not to pack too much. To give you a good idea of the space you're likely to have, take a look at the floor plans and dimensions on the Accommodation section of our website.
It is also useful to think about the bare minimum of items you need to bring. A handy tip with clothing is to pack your winter clothes for the autumn, take them home during the Christmas break and swap them with summer clothing for the spring.
You'll also need crockery and cutlery, toiletries, study materials and perhaps a few personal items to decorate your room, such as photos and posters.
Your kitchen is equipped with a microwave, oven, grill and cooker and you will be allocated fridge and freezer space (a maximum of one shelf each). You’ll also have your own cupboard space designated to you according to your room number.
- Documents needed for Registration
- Accommodation confirmation (if you are living in University residences)
- Additional Learning Support form (if necessary)
- Passport and/or driving licence
- NHS medical card
- National Insurance number
- Bank statements (in case you want to open a student account with our on-campus bank)
- P45 from last job (in case you want to get a job whilst you are at Surrey)
- Passport photos (can often come in handy for signing up to clubs)
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Bath towels x 2
- Hand towels x 2
- Hand soap
- Soap/shower gel, etc.
- You can purchase a bedding pack for when you arrive via our online shop. Alternatively, bring a duvet and bed linen with you
- Alarm clock
- Photo frames
- Chopping board
- Cutlery (forks, knives, spoons)
- Cooking utensils (saucepans, etc.)
- Crockery (bowls, plates, dishes, mugs)
- Tin opener
- Food storage/boxes
- Clothes hangers
- Laundry basket (including a laundry bag to carry to the laundrette!)
- Study materials (pens, pencils, calculator, ruler, eraser, paper, notepads)
- Academic books
- Laptop/computer (if you bring speakers, you can use this to play music or watch films)
- MP3 player
- Ethernet cable
- Mobile phone and charger
- TV (if you feel you need one) and Television Licence