Dr Philip Singleton
Postgraduate Research Student
- Composition (see recent works, below).
- Contemporary French music, with an emphasis on the so-called ‘French spectral school’ of composition, its origins and its legacy amongst the current younger generation of composers.
- Composers of particular interest include: Gérard Grisey, Tristan Murail, Marc-André Dalbavie, Kaija Saariaho, Magnus Lindberg, Bruno Mantovani, Hèctor Parra, Philippe Manoury, Pierre Boulez, Olivier Messiaen and Henri Dutilleux.
- Palindromes for trumpet and piano (2011, rev.2013)
- 5 Études temporelles (2012)
- String Quartet (i) (2013) – first performed, and awarded the David Lovatt composition prize, by the Ligeti Quartet
- Metatrio for three instrumental ensembles (2013)
- …à partir du son… for chamber orchestra (2013)
- Duet2 for trumpet in Bb and trombone with piano resonance (2013)
- …à côté… for alto flute solo (2013)
- Matrix for flute, viola and piano (2013) (composed for the London Sinfonietta’s Postal Pieces call for works)
Works in progress
- Carillons et Mélodies for four instrumental groups; commission from the Farnham Festival, first performance planned for March 2014.
- Large ensemble cycle (title tbc), projected first performance during the 2014-15 season.