Student academic development
To enhance your learning experiences at the University of Surrey our team will support your academic development at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
Select the links below to find out about the support available to you.
- Workshops tailored to all levels
- Drop-ins and appointments for all undergraduate and postgraduate taught students
- Online resources, available 24/7.
- Opportunities to publish written work,
- Opportunities to join the PAWS mentoring initiative (see below)
- Specialised schemes to help you get Back-on-Track
PAWS: A new initiative
Peer Assisted Writing Scheme (PAWS) launching in February 2019.
First year student mentees will be paired with a final year student mentor to help them improve their academic writing skills.
- Final year undergraduate student?
- Passionate about writing?
- Like to help others?
- Paid opportunity
- First year undergraduate student?
- Want friendly support to develop your academic writing?
PAWS additional information
What does it involve?
- Mentors will be paired with suitable first year student mentees
- Mentors and mentees will meet one-to-one up to 4 times in the semester
- Initial training and ongoing support will be provided by the SPLASH team
- Final year undergraduate
- A grade of 68 % in 2 or more pieces of written work for Level 5 and 6
- Complete mentor application form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Provide evidence of grades for 2 key pieces of written work
- Recommendation from academic member of staff
- Informal 20 min interview
- Initial training day
- Ongoing support, advice and guidance from SPLASH team
- Networking events
- Training days will be unpaid but refreshments and lunch will be provided
What help will I receive?
- Mentees will be suitably paired with a final year mentor
- Trained mentors will support mentees with one of their written assignments
- Mentees and mentors will meet one-to-one up to 4 times in the semester
- First year undergraduate
- Any faculty or department
- Complete mentee application form and email to email@example.com