C-Lab: Cognitive systems
Machines that can learn, reason and understand the world.
- Human computer interaction
- Man machine interfaces.
- Swiss Nation Science Foundation: SMILE (2016-2019) “Scalable Multimodal sign language
- Technology for sIgn language Learning and assessment”
- H2020: Context4ALL (2017-2020) “Personalised Content Creation for the Deaf Community in a Connected Digital Single Market”
- InnovateUK: AVP (2018-2021): “Autonomous Valet parking”
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council: ExTOL (2018-2021) "End to End Translation of British Sign Language"
- Four industrial PhDs with: Tesco Labs, Raymarine, McLaren, Jaguar Land Rover.
- Making Sense
- Learning to Recognise Dynamic Visual Content.
Distinctive approach and achievements
- Both fundamental and application driven research
- Weak supervision pervades approaches
- Human inspired
- First ever sign language translation work
- SOTA performance on many gesture and tracking benchmarks
- Many best paper and thesis awards
- Consistent record of high quality TPAMI papers over the last three REF periods.
- New project on level four autonomy
- Self driving cars and boats
- Strengthening links with the Department of Mechanical Engineering Sciences and Surrey Space Centre to help build critical mass in this area
- 3D perception and reasoning over scene content
- Human pose estimation and prediction
- Sign to Sign Translation System.