D-Lab: Blockchain and AI
Smart digital data and digital currencies.
What is distributed ledger technology (blockchain)
- Distributed ledger technology is a special kind of database that can guarantee the provenance of data (i.e. tamper-proof data)
- Blockchain makes those guarantees without relying on a centralised authority (e.g. Bitcoin has no central bank)
- Blockchain is the record keeping of the future
- We have £2million EPSRC funding to explore the intersection of AI and blockchain in diverse domains: Identity, digital records, and healthcare.
TAPESTRY (EPSRC, £1.1m) with cyber security
- Trust, Authentication and Privacy over a De-Centralised Social Registry (TAPESTRY) de-risks the UK digital economy via new technologies to enable people, businesses and services to connect safely online
- TAPESTRY collects digital trails of users' interactions (photos, comments, likes, 'internet of things'), into a blockchain on an opt-in basis, as encrypted trust evidence.
ARCHANGEL (EPSRC, £487k) with CoDE
- Archives are the lens through which future generations will see today – their integrity and objectivity is fundamental to society
- Trusted Archives of Digital Public Records (ARCHANGEL) fuses AI and blockchain to ensure the integrity and sustainability of digital public archives e.g. The National Archives
- Computer vision/AI used to derive ‘digital fingerprints’ from archive documents and store in blockchain
- Smart contracts for sustainable digital business models
- A collaboration with The National Archives, and Tim Berners-Lee’s Open Data Institute (ODI) and Guardtime.
CoMEHeRe (EPSRC, £425k) with CoDE
- If you wear a FitBit or a similar wearable, your personal healthcare data is being hoarded in a data silo and sold
- Co-operative Models for Evidence-based Healthcare Redistribution (CoMEHeRe) combines AI and blockchain to create a new economic model for that data e.g. users broker data to healthcare providers
- Users gain agency over their data and ability to commoditise it
- We have a live trial – 100 students currently wearing our prototype wearable, and AI algorithms being developed to predict stress/anxiety.
- Combining trusted data (blockchain) with sense making of that data (AI) is a Surrey USP (blockchain and AI) with £2million of EPSRC backing
- Opportunities to leverage in: Living Lab/Learning Hotel, Digital Space Campus, 5GIC, Vet School, EPSRC Programme Grant.
- Cross-faculty blockchain testbed for AI and blockchain with our centre, Surrey Centre for Cyber Security and Centre for Digital Economy (CoDE).