V-Lab: Creative technology
Machine perception for 3D immersive content production.
Goal: Creative audio and visual technology for immersive experiences
- Leading UK research group in creative technology (audio and video)
- Immersive content production for virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR)
- Machine learning for understanding video and audio.
Impact: Pioneering creative technologies since 1996
- World-leading video-realistic content production for film, games and VR
- Spatial audio for VR – GooglePlay ‘Best VR Experience.’
V-lab is active in a portfolio of research projects supported by EPSRC, EU, TSB, industry and the Royal
Society. The research activity is underpinned by an EPSRC platform grant in visual media providing
strategic long-term funding for adventure and continuity of research.
- Visual Media Platform (EPSRC)
- BodyShape 'Body Shape Recognition for Online Fashion' (EPSRC)
- Royal Society Industry Fellowship with Framestore Digital Doubles: From real-actors to computer generated digital doubles
- S3A: Future spatial audio for an immersive listener experience at home
- Video-based capture, reconstruction and rendering of people
- Total Capture for real-time animation (Innovate UK)
- ALIVE ‘Live Action Lightfields for Immersive Virtual reality Experiences’ (Innovate UK).
- RE@CT - Immersive production and delivery of interactive 3D content (EU IST)
- SCENE - Novel scene representations for richer networked media (EU IST)
- SyMMM - Synchronising multimodal movie metadata (TSB)
- i3Dpost - Intelligent 3D content extraction and manipulation for film and games (EU IST)
- i3Dlive - Interactive 3D methods for live action media (TSB/EPSRC)
- iview - Free-viewpoint video for entertainment content production (TSB/EPSRC)
- VBAP - Video-based animation of people (EPSRC).