Laptops are available to borrow from the Library 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can borrow a laptop for up to 4 hours using the Laptop Locker located on the first floor of the Library, next to IT Room 2. All you need to do is follow instructions on the locker screen and the loan will appear on your Library account in the same way as a book. The laptop can be used anywhere in the Library and will give you access to files on your Home (H:) Drive, the Internet and printing.
All loan laptops will reset themselves when they are shut down so please ensure you save or back up all your files before shutting down.
Borrowing a Laptop
To borrow a laptop:
- Press the Borrow button on the screen.
- Place your campus card into the barcode reader as shown on screen.
- The Library's Terms and Conditions will be displayed. Read these and click Accept.
- The date and time the laptop is due back will display on the screen. Please make a note of the time it should be returned to avoid any fines.
- The locker you have been allocated will now flash.
- Scan your campus card in the card reader of the bay where the allocated locker is flashing.
- The locker door will click open and you can pull the handle to open it. Please remove the charger cable and take the laptop closing the locker door.
- You are responsible for the laptop for the period of time it is on loan to you. It must not be left unattended or loaned to anyone else as a fee may be charged for stolen, lost or damaged laptops.
- The laptop is given without a charger and should only be plugged in when it is returned to the locker.
Returning a Laptop
All loan laptops will reset themselves upon shut down so please ensure to save your files to your H: drive or USB before shutting down and returning the laptop. Files saved anywhere other than the H: drive will be permanently deleted when the laptop is switched off.
To return the laptop:
- Press the Return button on the screen.
- Place your campus card into the barcode reader as shown on screen. The locker you need to return your laptop to will begin to flash.
- Pull the handle on the allocated locker to open it.
- Place the laptop inside and insert the charger cable into the power socket to ensure that the laptop is returned.
- Close the locker door.
All Laptops are available to loan for up to 4 hours. If you would like to use the laptop for longer than this you will need to return the device and borrow another one.
Fines will be charged for late returns at a rate of £1 per hour or part thereof, so please make sure you leave enough time to return it. Loss or damage to the laptop may result in charges for repair, or a replacement cost of £500.
All loan laptops will reset themselves upon shut down so please ensure you save or back up all your files to the Home (H :) Drive or other external storage such as USB. Once the laptop has been turned off it is not possible to retrieve anything from the previous session.
Frequently Asked Questions
View our Frequently Asked Questions to find answers to popular questions about the Laptop Loan service.
By loaning a laptop you are agreeing to the terms below:
If you have any feedback, suggestions or ways to improve the Laptop Loan service we would like to hear from you. Contact the Library team at email@example.com.
Reporting a Fault or problem with a laptop
If you notice any problems with the laptop please let the Library Support Hub on the first floor of the library know as soon as possible so the device can be checked. If necessary you will be issued with another laptop.