Laptop Loans FAQs
- Where can I borrow a laptop from?
Laptops are available to borrow from the first floor of the Library next to the printing area outside IT Room 2.
- How do I return a laptop?
All loan laptops will reset themselves upon shut down so please ensure to save your files to your H: drive or USB before shutting down and returning the laptop. Files saved anywhere other than the H: drive will be permanently deleted when the laptop is switched off.
To return the laptop:
- Press the Return button on the screen.
- Place your campus card into the barcode reader as shown on screen. The locker you need to return your laptop to will begin to flash.
- Pull the handle on the allocated locker to open it.
- Place the laptop inside and insert the charger cable into the power socket to ensure that the laptop is returned.
- Close the locker door.
- I have feedback on the Loan Laptop service who should I tell?
If you have any feedback, suggestions or improvements for the scheme we would like to hear from you. Email the team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Can I borrow any laptop accessories such as a mouse and keyboard when I loan a laptop?
Accessories will not normally be provided but if you are a supported student who needs adjustments to any part of the service for accessibility reasons please speak to a member of staff.
- What if I accidently lose or damage the laptop?
If you lose or damage the laptop please let the Library Support Hub know immediately. They will be able to advise you of the next steps.
- Can I let someone else borrow the laptop I have loaned?
No. You are responsible for the laptop for the period of time it is on loan to you. It must not be left unattended or loaned to anyone else as a fee will be charged for stolen, lost or damaged laptops.
- Why does the laptop shut down when the lid is closed?
To ensure your data is secure the laptops will shut down when the lid is closed. Please ensure you save your files before closing the lid to avoid any loss of data.
- Will other users be able to see my files after I have used a laptop?
No. Once you have shut down the laptop all files and information from your session will be permanently deleted.
- Where should I store my files?
All files should be stored on the Home (H:) Drive or an external storage device such as a USB. Please do not save files to My Documents or any other folders on the laptop. Files saved anywhere other than the H: Drive will be permanently deleted when the laptop is switched off.
- Are there any rules I should be aware of?
Yes. By loaning a laptop you are agreeing to abide by:
- What if there is a problem with the laptop?
If you experience any problems with a loaned laptop please go to the Library Support Hub located on the first floor of the Library. A member of the team will be able to issue a new laptop if necessary.
- What software and applications can I access on the Laptop?
All laptops are equipped with:
- Microsoft Office 2013
- Internet Explorer
- Adobe Reader XI
- Mind Genius
- Read & Write
- Google Chrome
- Can I charge my own laptop using the lockers?
No. Unfortunately you can not charge up your own laptop whilst you borrow one. The system will not be able to recognise that the device you have plugged in is your own personal laptop so as soon as the door is shut it will make your device available to anyone who wishes to borrow a laptop.
- What if I lose the laptop or return it late?
A fee of £1 for each hour or part hour the laptop is late. Loss or damage to the laptop may result in charges for repair, or a replacement cost of £500.
- Can I keep the laptop for longer than 4 hours?
No. All Laptop are available to loan for up to 4 hours. If you would like to use the laptop for longer than this you will need to return the device and borrow another one.
- Can I use the laptop outside of the Library?
The laptop loan scheme has been introduced to address the need for more access to computers in the library from student feedback so should remain in the Library throughout the loan period. This is also to reduce the risk of loss or damage whilst they are on loan.
- What is the model and specification of the loan laptop?
All loan laptops are Dell Latitude 3550 with 6th Gen Intel Core i3 and 8GB RAM.
- How do I borrow a laptop?
To borrow a laptop:
- Press the Borrow button on the screen.
- Place your campus card into the barcode reader as shown on screen.
- The Library's Terms and Conditions will be displayed. Read these and click Accept.
- The date and time the laptop is due back will display on the screen. Please make a note of the time it should be returned to avoid any fines.
- The locker you have been allocated will now flash.
- Scan your campus card in the card reader of the bay where the allocated locker is flashing.
- The locker door will click open and you can pull the handle to open it. Please remove the charger cable and take the laptop closing the locker door.
- You are responsible for the laptop for the period of time it is on loan to you. It must not be left unattended or loaned to anyone else as a fee may be charged for stolen, lost or damaged laptops.
- The laptop is given without a charger and should only be plugged in when it is returned to the locker.