Working Off Campus
It is possible to access almost everything you have on a University PC on an alternative computer at home. Most services can be accessed anywhere with a good Internet connection.
Direct Internet connection
You can access your Email, OneDrive, Software and most Web Services anywhere with a good Internet connection.
You will be able to use the Internet to access your email via Outlook Web App, OneDrive Files, Skype for Business (for instant messaging, voice and video calling and screen sharing), software and web based services such as SurreyLearn.
A sample list of services available using the Internet can be seen below.
- Skype for Business (instant messaging, voice and video calling, online meetings, screen sharing)
- Surrey App Store
Remote Access Service
For ad-hoc access to Web Services, Files on your H: and S: Drive
The Remote Access service is a web based service that provides access to files and web-services such as Library Online Resources that would usually only be available to computers connected directly to the University Network. The service is ideal if you need ad-hoc access to a small number of files from Home (H:) or Shared (S:) drives or a web based application.
Once you have accessed the information required remember to logout to end your session.
A sample list of services accessible using the Remote Access service can be seen below:
- Student Self-Service
- Library Resources such as E-Journals and Exam Papers
- IT Services resources including the Printing Online Payment System
Connecting to Remote Access
To connect to Remote Access visit: https://remote.surrey.ac.uk and login using your university username and password.
Note: When logging in make sure you set the Realm box to Active Directory.
Accessing your Home Directory – Personal Filestore
From the Homepage, select Personal Filestore (My Documents) to access your filestore held at the University. You will then be able to download or upload files between your own computer and your filestore at the University.
Downloading Files and/or Folders from your Personal Filestore
To download a single file:
- Browse and click the name of the file you want to download
- In the Save As dialog box, browse to the directory on your computer where you want to save the file
- Enter a name in the File name field
- Click Save
Uploading Files and/or Folders to your Personal Filestore
To upload files and/or folders from your own computer:
- Browse to the Personal Filestore (My Documents) directory where you want to save the files and/or folders
- Click Upload File to access the upload page
- On the upload page, click Browse to locate and select the files you want to save on the network
- Click Upload. The files you selected are uploaded and saved using the names you specified on the Save As fields or the names displayed in your local directory.
- After the files are uploaded, click Close in the Upload Status window.
Postgraduate Research Students and Staff
All Postgraduate Research Students (PGRs) and Staff will need to connect to the Anywhere Remote Access service to access files and web services off campus. To do this simply follow the instructions in the guide below.
Connecting to the Anywhere Remote Access Service - For PGRs and Staff
All PGR and Staff accounts have been setup to access to the Anywhere service. All other users requiring access will need to request this by contacting the IT Service Desk on 01483 689898 / ext. 9898 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.