Thinking of coming to Surrey?

Admissions advice

The disability advisors will answer any specific enquiries or concerns from prospective students at any time of the year. Enquiries should initially be directed by completing the self referral form, by email to or by phoning the ALS Office at 01483 689609

Applicant Days or Interviews

If you have any additional requirements please give at least 10 working days notice to Admissions, e.g. if you need a BSL interpreter or other assistance or equipment. For some applicants it is useful to meet a disability advisor and admissions tutor during your visit, e.g. to discuss support in labs, or arrangements for assistance dogs. Please let Admissions know that you would like to meet a disability advisor.

Auditions/Entrance Examinations

If you have a disability or SpLD be sure to respond to the attendance letter from Admissions, which asks for your medical letter or SpLD evidence for adjustments, 10 working days prior to assessment. The evidence must comply with the University of Surrey validation criteria. Letters must be a signed and dated by relevant GP or Consultant. SpLD assessments, must be post 16 years of age and have been completed by a registered Chartered or Practitioner Psychologist or Specialist Teacher holding a current Assessment Practising Certificate. The report should be less than 7 years old and meet the criteria of the Higher Education SpLD Guidelines. The University has its own criteria for acceptance of the use of PCs in exams and extra time.

Disabled Students Allowance (DSA)

All UK disabled and dyslexic students are advised to apply for DSA. This is a government grant, not a loan, for study related support. Apply for Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) as soon as you have a firm offer of a place.

  • If you need personal care, contact your Social Services Department.
  • Volunteering Matters can be arranged to give additional personal support with the agreement of the disability advisors and your funding sponsors.
  • Visit the University well ahead of the date of your proposed entry if you have mobility difficulties, sensory impairments or long-standing illnesses, which require special accommodation and other substantial support. Some forms of adapted accommodation are limited
  • Having informed the University of your disability ALS may contact you for further information about your needs.


Let the Accommodation Office know on their on-line application form of any adaptations required to your room, or specific requests, e.g. some rooms are adapted for deaf students. The number of adapted rooms are limited on the Stag Hill campus but there are new and bigger accessible rooms available on the Manor Park site. Send the Accommodation Office a copy of your medical letter to support your application. This confidential data is used for accommodation purposes only.

International and EU students with Dyslexia, Disability or Medical Condition

  • If you require extra support you can contact ALS during your application process. ALS can only make adjustments at University for students who can provide relevant current medical or educational evidence.
  • Dyslexic students should have their Educational Psychologists (or equivalent) report translated to English. The report must date from when you were 16 years of age or over.¬†
  • Disabled students are advised to bring a translated copy of medical evidence, e.g. audiogram, doctor's letter.
  • The University will not fund personal care support e.g. laundry, shopping, cooking, washing, cleaning. You are strongly advised to contact ALS for details of local costs prior to accepting an offer.
  • If you will need adaptations, equipment or other resources to access accommodation and teaching rooms you are advised to contact ALS at the earliest opportunity so we can investigate practicality and costs.

For more detailed information see the University Admissions Policy

Post-Graduate Students

Please note that the University does not have a differentiated marking scheme i.e. examination papers and assignments will not be marked with a sticker or cover sheet disclosing an SpLD or disability. The University does not give routine extensions for assignment deadlines for disabled students or students with SpLDs. Extenuating circumstances i.e. sudden and unforeseen circumstances should be reported to your department, with appropriate evidence, in advance of deadlines.

We assure you that any information you give to us is treated as confidential, and will only be disclosed to University Staff who need to know. Information will, of necessity, go beyond Additional Learning Support to Faculties, the Examinations Office, and if appropriate the Accommodation Office. If you do not wish Additional Learning Support to share this information, please let us know. However, this will limit the range of support we are able to offer