The Disability Advisors will make an adjustment based on your medical or educational evidence.
The two deadlines for exam adjustment applications this academic year are:
27 November 2017 and 13 April 2018
To apply for examination adjustments you will need to make an appointment with a Disability Advisor as early as possible; within the first six weeks of the first semester.
Give your report/evidence to ALS Reception as soon as possible and make an appointment with a Disability Advisor before the deadline date. Although you may have alerted the Disability Advisor of your needs at the admissions stage you must make an appointment to discuss adjustments with your evidence. Letters must be signed and dated by a GP or consultant. The evidence must comply with the University of Surrey validation criteria e.g. the University has its own SpLD criteria for extra time or acceptance of the use of PCs in exams. The University does not give routine extensions for assignment deadlines for disabled students or students with SpLDs. Examples of adjustments which have been agreed in the past include:
- additional time in exams
- extra time for rest breaks
- use of a scribe
- use of a PC
- adapted furniture
- separate room in department
Once your exam adjustments have been agreed on your Learning Support Adjustments form, you need not re-apply again unless you change course or request a change. However, if a reader or scribe has been agreed you are advised to check the arrangements in advance of each exam period with your Faculty examination administrator.
Dyslexic/ Dyspraxic students
- Your report should be post 16, and by a Chartered or Practitioner Psychologist or Specialist Teacher holding a current Assessment Practising Certificate.
- The report should be less than 7 years old and meet the criteria of the Higher Education SpLD Guidelines
- If you are dyslexic and do not have a current assessment, make an appointment, before the deadline so that ALS can refer you to a Psychologist, or Qualified Specialist Teacher. There is a £100 contribution fee required.
- UG students requiring screening for dyslexia will only be assessed after the 18th November i.e.you will not be able to apply for exam adjustments in the first Semester. Screening with a Disability Advisor will enable you to decide whether there are enough indicators to justify a full assessment.
- PG taught or final year students should make an appointment for screening at the start of the semester, before the deadline, so that ALS can prioritise you for assessments in advance of the examinations.
- No screenings will be offered to final year or PG taught students after the 2nd Semester exam deadline.