It's important to have regular check-ups with a dentist. Your dentist will decide how often you should have a check-up. It can vary from 3 months to 2 years. Generally, the lower your risk of dental problems, the longer you can wait before your next check-up.

The University of Surrey does not have a dentist on campus but there are a number of dental practices within two miles of the University. Dentists may accept private patients only or both private and NHS patients. Even if you are accepted as an NHS patient you are likely to have to pay towards your treatment although it is generally less than paying as a private patient. There are some exemptions to this. Information about exemptions and how much treatment can cost can be found at: here

 If you are a UK student and are already registered with a dentist at home then you don’t have to change, you can arrange your appointments for the holidays when you are at home. If you don’t already see a dentist at home or would like to change, see below on how to find a dentist.

If you are an international student with more than 6 months on your visa and you are eligible for NHS medical treatment then the same conditions apply as for home students. If you have less than 6 months on your visa you will have to pay the full cost of private treatment.


Free Dental Examinations are now available at the Guildford Dental Centre with Mr. Jonathan Tan. You will need to take your student ID card withyou to your appointment. A 10% discount will be applied to any treatment that may be necessary.

Guildford Dental Centre
26 Farnham Road

Tel.: 01483 535220


Woodbridge Hill Dental also offer discounts for students:

"We  are a modern & friendly dental clinic in Guildford within walking distance of the university offering an extensive range of dental services, including tooth whitening and implants.  We pride ourselves on high quality dental care, at affordable prices, & our commitment to being the best dentists in Guildford. We offer 40% discount for all necessary independent dental treatments for all types of students (Excludes dental cosmetic and hygiene treatments)."

Tel.: 01483568584
Woodbridge Hill Dental

49A Woodbridge Hill

Tel.: 01483568584


What should I do if I have a dental emergency?

If you have a regular dentist and need urgent treatment, contact your dentist for advice.

If you do not have a regular NHS dentist, you can contact NHS 111. They can give you details of out-of-hours dental services in your area.

More information can be found here


Where can I find a dentist?

Click here

Where can I find more information about dental care?

Click here