Welcome to the web pages for the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering.
Our world-class teaching and research are integrated to support the technical and commercial needs of both industry and society.
We pride ourselves on our tradition of excellence in teaching, research and practice as a result of bringing together internationally leading staff, exceptional students and modern facilities.
We offer BEng and MEng Degrees in Civil Engineering, together with a wide range of postgraduate Masters Degrees, ranging from Bridge Engineering to Water & Environmental Engineering. All of our taught courses are fully accredited by the;
- Institution of Civil Engineers
- Institution of Structural Engineers
- Chartered Institution of Highways & Transportation
- Institute of Highway Engineers
- Engineering Council
- European Accreditation of Engineering Programmes.
We have excellent links with industry exemplified by the strong support of our undergraduate Scholarship Scheme, with close to 100 scholars receiving funding and outstanding training opportunities provided by a range of top Civil Engineering companies.
It is hardly surprising that our graduates enjoy excellent employment prospects in the construction, energy and process engineering sectors, amongst many others. 95 per cent of our students secure a professional or managerial job six months after graduating having studied Civil Engineering at the University of Surrey.
The research undertaken by our staff is industrially relevant and internationally excellent. The research themes are both numerous and diverse covering areas from geomechanics, structural engineering and infrastructure asset management through to water engineering, pollution control and waste management.
The Department hosts the Centre for Environmental and Health Engineering and the Robens Centre for Public and Environmental Health, jointly designated as a World Health Organization (WHO) Collaborating Centre for the Protection of Water Quality and Human Health. We were proud to be part of the University submission that was awarded a Queen’s Anniversary Award for water research in 2011.
- £2.1m investment in student bursaries
- Six students have won the South East Women in Property (WiP) Award in the last eight years
- 25 partnerships with the UK's leading civil engineering companies
- 100 students currently holding scholarships at leading companies
- 500 students on paid placements as part of their studies at Surrey.