- Mechanics and micro-mechanics of granular materials including image analysis
- Discrete Element Modelling (DEM) of granular materials including laboratory validation
- Physical modelling of geotechnical problems including soil-structure interaction with particular emphasis to off-shore wind turbines
- Soil-Vehicle interactions including extra-terrestrial applications
- Wave propagation in, and constitutive models for, nonlinear materials
- Pipelines and piles in seismic areas including liquefiable soils
- Study of soil liquefaction using element tests
We can carry our Advanced Soil Testing as well as bespoke scaled model tests of geotechnical problems. Please contact us if you need any further information.
We are pleased to announce our new MSc course Advanced Geotechnical Engineering.
Please find a list of the academic, research and support staff that make up the Ground Engineering group.
- Mr Hasan Emre Deirci - working on "Numerical modeling and simulations of the pipe subjected to faulting provide reasonable predictions for the axial and bending strain distributions obtained during the tests."
- Mr Saleh Jalbi - working on "Dynamic Soil Structure Interaction for offshore Wind Turbine Support Structures."
- Mr George Nikitas - working on “Dynamic Soil-Structure Interaction of Offshore Wind Turbines”
- Mr Juntao Qin - working on “Numerical modelling for wheel soil interaction in multi wheel system”
- Mr Brain Yeomans - working on “Mobility of legged vehicles in relation to Extra Terrestrial applications” in collaboration with the Space Centre.
- Francesca Comin - working on “Extra-terrestrial rover traficability” in collaboration with the Space Centre.