Rankings and reputation
The University of Surrey’s Department of Computer Science is ranked highly in the UK and world university league tables, reflecting the department’s reputation for conducting leading-edge research and providing an outstanding teaching and learning environment.
Here are some highlights from the most recent international and UK league tables. You can read more about our progress in the SJTU Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) and The Guardian University Guide below.
International league tables
Top 150 for computer science and engineering in the ShanghaiRanking's Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2017.
UK league tables
In the major national UK league tables, Surrey has been ranked in the following positions:
- Top ten in the UK for computer science and information systems in the Guardian University Guide 2019, see the full league table results.
- Top ten in the Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018.
2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF)
60% of research by Department of Computer Science rated world-leading or internationally excellent.
Surrey has risen to 22nd place among 106 institutions for ‘Research Power.’
Professional recognition of our academics
Among all the academics, six have received recognition from at least one professional society in related field by being elected to the highest level of membership (fellowship), which include:
- One Fellow of IEEE (Prof Yaochu Jin)
- Four Fellows of BCS (Prof Anthony TS Ho, Prof Steve Schneider, Prof Yaochu Jin, Dr Lee Gillam)
- One Fellow of IET (Prof Anthony TS Ho)
- One Fellow of IMA (Prof Paul Krause)
- One Fellow of IoP (Prof Anthony TS Ho).
In addition, eight academics (Prof Anthony TS Ho, Prof Yaochu Jin, Prof Steve Schneider, Dr André Grüning, Dr Lee Gillam, Dr Shujun Li, Dr Sotiris Moschoyiannis, Dr Norman Poh) are members of technical committees, executive committees or working groups or boards of scientific associations including: IEEE, IFIP, ISO, ENNS.
Eight academics (Prof Anthony TS Ho, Prof Yaochu Jin, Prof Steve Schneider, Dr Clive Cheong Took, Dr Lee Gillam, Dr Shujun Li, Dr Mark Manulis, Dr Norman Poh) are currently serving on editorial boards of over 20 international scientific journals.