Thursday, September 13, 2018 - 08:30 to Friday, September 14, 2018 - 20:00
University of Surrey, Guildford
Registration is not yet open.
CrossFyre aims to bring together female researchers in cyber security (e.g., in cryptography, information security, safety, but not only), to promote their research topics and help develop the careers of women in science and engineering. Thus, CrossFyre’s main cohort is generally formed of female early-career researchers (ECRs), as well as female undergraduate-students interested in or working in cybersecurity. With CrossFyre, we aspire to encourage closer cooperation between women in cybersecurity, with practical and theoretical inclinations alike. The event also strives to create the possibility for female researchers and students, with interests in cyber security, to keep in touch and strengthen their professional networks –– beyond the realms of CrossFyre 2018. We are also excited to announce that CrossFyre 2018 will be an edition of the workshop which actively seeks the participation of industry professionals, active in the field of cybersecurity! Although the workshop is primarily aimed at female researchers, male researchers are also invited to take part.
Ioana Boureanu, Univ. of Surrey
Liz Quaglia, Royal Holloway, Univ. of London
• Main attendance is via a selection of expressions-of-interests to participate (mainly from undergraduates) or by peer-review of submitted research (mainly from ECRs). The rest of the participation is formed of a small number of invited speakers and senior professionals/researchers.
• 30-35 participants, mainly female ECRs and undergraduates
• Registration fee is aimed to be kept low.
• Few merit-based scholarships are offered to undergraduates.
• Participants introduce themselves and their cybersecurity interests.• 2-3 keynote talks (1h), with at least 1 speaker from academia and 1 from industry
• 2-3 “spotlight” talks (30’), by senior professionals/researchers
• Short talks (10’-15’) by early-career researchers who submitted work
• A plenary discussion on positions and perspectives of women in science and
technology, as well gender stereotypes and difficulties in technical degrees,
academia and industry
• Workshop dinner with all the participants
Information about the past editions of CrossFyre can be found here: 1) CrossFyre 2011: April 14-15, 2011, CASED, Germany; 2) CrossFyre 2012: June 14-15, 2012, TU Eindhoven, the Netherlands; 3) CrossFyre 2013: June 20-21, 2013, KU Leuven, BelgiuM; 4) CrossFyre 2014: July 3-4, 2014, RU Bochum, GermanY; 5) CrossFyre 2015: November 2-3, 2015, Radboud University Nijmegen, Netherlands; 6) CrossFyre 2016: July 21-22, 2016, TU Darmstadt, Germany; 7) CrossFyre 2017: July 21-22, 2016, Paris, France