Race Equality Charter Mark
The University is taking part in the Equality Challenge Unit's (ECU) Race Equality Charter Mark. The Charter Mark is aimed at improving the representation, progression and success of minority ethnic staff and students within higher education.
The initiative follows in the footsteps of ECU’s renowned Athena SWAN Charter, and recognises excellence in advancing racial equality in higher education. It allows HEIs to apply for an award recognising their commitment to, and progression towards, race equality.
By taking part in this initiative the University aims to:
- Make a positive difference to the experience of black and minority ethnic students and staff
- Consolidate and celebrate previous and current work
- Focus on identifying meaningful and challenging race equality objectives and actions for the next three years
- Do more to promote an inclusive culture and enhance our reputation within the sector
- Improve the way in which we meet our legislative duties
- Embed and mainstream equality.
The Race Equality Charter aims to inspire a strategic approach to making cultural and systemic changes that will make a real difference to minority ethnic staff and students.
- professional and support staff
- academic staff
- student attainment, diversity of the curriculum and progression of students into academia.
Race Equality Charter Mark team
The Race Equality Charter Mark team supports the preparation of the Race Equality Charter submission and continues to meet to drive and monitor the implementation of the action plan.