Gold award in our 50th anniversary year
It’s been a golden year for us! Not only have we celebrated our 50th anniversary but we have also been awarded a Gold award for our teaching and learning in the first ever Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF).
The new government award scheme recognises Surrey as providing teaching and learning at the highest quality level and reinforces our position as a leading academic institution for current and prospective students. Only 20 per cent of the 295 institutions in the UK which entered the TEF were awarded gold status
- Our rigorous and stretching course design and assessment, complemented by effective support which enables students from all backgrounds to achieve consistently outstanding outcomes
- The ways in which the “outstanding research expertise” of our staff shapes our curricula and develops students’ critical and analytical skills
- Our innovative, personalised, and exceptionally well-resourced provision
- Our successful approaches to embedding professional training in our programmes
- Our ‘exemplary’ engagement in nationally-funded projects, evidencing the University’s leadership in teaching excellence.
These and other distinctive aspects of our provision contribute not only to the quality of our education but to students’ future success, with notably high proportions progressing to highly-skilled employment or further study.
Professor Jane Powell, Vice-Provost for Education and Students, said: "This Gold award is a great tribute to the sustained efforts of our staff, and to Surrey’s longstanding ethos of working together with our talented and ambitious students to put their learning experience, personal development, and future career opportunities at the heart of our approach to education.”
The Gold award in the Teaching Excellence Framework tops off an already fantastic year for us:
- In February, our new £12.5 million Innovation for Health building was opened, equipped with innovative research and teaching facilities to help change the delivery of healthcare in the UK
- The 5G Innovation Centre is a world leader in the development of the next generation of mobile and wireless communications. Bringing together leading academic expertise and key industry partners in a shared vision, the centre will help to define and develop the 5G infrastructure that will underpin the way we communicate, work and live our everyday lives in the future.
- A few weeks ago, our hugely successful Festival of Wonder attracted around 6,000 members of alumni and the community to enjoy a wonderful array of talks, demonstrations, shows and entertainment programmes on campus, as part of a year-long celebration of our 50th anniversary.