Doctoral College Studentship Award
Prospective PhD researchers are invited to apply for:
- Full scholarships (covers Home/EU fee and stipend of £14,777)
- Fees only scholarships for Home/EU applicants
- Fee reduction for international applicants
- Projects involving a collaborative organisation
A parallel competition is open to University of Surrey staff. Staff are invited to apply for funding for projects involving a collaborative partner.
These awards are available for students starting their doctorate in October 2018.
The University of Surrey is committed to recruiting and supporting talented doctoral researchers to underpin its ambitious research strategy. You will be joining our world-class, research-led University at an exciting time. With the recent establishment of the Doctoral College we offer an outstanding research environment with a supportive community that connects supervisors, doctoral researchers, and research support staff across all three of the university’s faculties. You will have access to invaluable training throughout your doctorate and we will support you to achieve your career aspirations.
We are a multi-disciplinary institution and all of our subject areas are eligible to apply for the Doctoral College Studentship Awards. To find out more about our exciting research programmes, please see our programme listings and explore our faculties:
- Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
- Faculty of Engineering and Physical Sciences
- Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
Terms and conditions
All stipends will be paid on a monthly basis.
There are no bench fees or research training support grants attached to this award.
We welcome applications from both full- and part time students.
These awards are available for students starting their doctorate in October 2018. Please note the competition is not open to existing students. Please only apply if you are able to commence your PhD in October 2018.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying, please follow the three stage process below to help you prepare and submit your application:
- Identify and speak to a prospective supervisor: Within each of the faculty pages above you will find links to academic schools and departments and staff lists. Use the staff lists to identify a prospective supervisor. Contact your prospective supervisor to discuss project options before completing the application. If you have difficulty identifying a prospective supervisor, the PGR Director for the department might be able to help you.
- Apply for a place on a Surrey PhD programme: Once you have discussed your project with a prospective supervisor you will need to make an application for a place on a PhD programme. You can apply for a place by clicking on the “apply now” button within the Programme Listings. Please make sure you indicate on your application that you are applying for a Doctoral College Studentship Award (DCSA2). You are also advised to ensure that you include your degree transcripts and references in the application – not providing these documents can slow the process down. The deadline to submit an application for a place on a PhD programme is: 12 midday, Tuesday 27th March 2018.
- Complete the Doctoral College Studentships Award Application: In addition to applying for a place on a PhD programme, you will also need to complete Doctoral College Studentships Award application form. This is your application for funding and will be used to select successful candidates for funding. Please also refer to the guidance notes which will assist you in filling in the DCSA2 Application Form. Once you have completed your form, please submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline of 10am, Tuesday 17th April 2018.
Process after application deadline
Following the application deadline, your application will be considered by an academic panel.
Candidates will be informed whether they have been successful in securing a studentship award week commencing 21st May 2018. If you are successful, you will be required to start your programme in October 2018.
If you have any questions or queries about the Doctoral College Studentship Awards, please contact Emma or Christine on email@example.com
We look forward to receiving your application.