High altitude balloon competition privacy notice
The University of Surrey are registered as a data controller of the personal information we hold about you and we are committed to ensuring that the personal data we process is handled in accordance with data protection legislation. This notice explains how we collect and use your personal data.
We have a named Data Protection Officer, Suzie Mereweather, who can be contacted via firstname.lastname@example.org
The personal data provided by you is collected when you complete and return our high altitude balloon competition entry form, and is only collected to allow us to manage applications and administer the competition.
We collect only the data we need and we keep the data up to date and only for as long as needed.
We do not collect any personal data relating to children participating in the competition.
We rely on your consent to process your personal data, which is captured at the point you complete and return this form. You may withdraw your consent at any time.
Please note that if you choose to withdraw your consent, your school will no longer be able to participate in the competition as the processing of your data is essential in administering the competition.
Your personal data will not be shared with anyone internally or externally, and will only be used for the purposes explained in this privacy notice.
We retain your personal data until the competition is completed, at which point your data will be securely destroyed.
As an individual whose data we process (a data subject), you have certain rights in relation to the processing. Find detailed information about your rights as a data subject.
You have the right to:
- Withdraw your consent for us to process your personal data where we have relied on that consent as our basis for processing your data.
- Ask us to confirm that your personal data is being processed and to access (i.e. have a copy) of that data as well as to be provided with supplemental information about the processing.
- Request that we rectify any inaccuracies where the data we hold on you is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Have your data erased by us, although in certain circumstances we may not be able to do this. The circumstances where this applies can be found in the guide to data subject rights information.
- Restrict the processing of your personal data in certain ways.
- Obtain your personal data for reuse.
- Object to certain processing of your personal data.
If you would like to exercise any of your rights please contact Heather Campbell.
Make a complaint
If you have any concerns about the way that we have handled your personal data please email the Data Protection team as we would like to have the opportunity to resolve your concerns.
If you’re still unhappy, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (an independent body set up to advise on information rights for the UK) about the way in which we process your personal data.