Applying for your test
Read our frequently asked questions about applying for your test.
No it is not. Following the important changes to Secure English Language Tests (SELT) announced by the UK Government on 20 February 2015, please read the following points carefully before booking an IELTS test at this centre:
- If you are intending to use your IELTS results to apply for either an undergraduate or postgraduate degree application at the University of Surrey, you will still be able to take your test at this Centre.
- If you are intending to use your IELTS results to apply for an undergraduate or postgraduate degree at any other UK University, it is our understanding that you can use a test taken at our centre in support of your application. However, we advise you to check first that your intended university will accept our test.
- If you are intending to use your IELTS results to apply for a pre-sessional English course or a foundation course in the UK, then you will need to take your test at one of the new UKVI approved SELT Centres.
- If you are intending to use your IELTS results for any purpose requiring a UK visa, other than those mentioned above, then you will need to take your test at one of the new UKVI approved SELT Centres.
- If you are intending to use your IELTS results for any purpose that does not require a UK visa, then you will still be able to take your test with us.
For more information please visit:
Please apply for the IELTS exam online. Provided there are places available, applications will be accepted up until one week before the test date.
Please note: many tests are oversubscribed, so you are encouraged to apply for the test well in advance of the test date.
After applying online you will need to:
- make an online payment
- email email@example.com or send by post a photocopy of your passport or National ID card (European Union citizens only) within four calendar days. The copy must show your picture, name, date of birth, passport/ID number, signature, and expiry date.
- You will have to bring the original Passport or National Identity Card indicated on your application to the test. If you do not bring the same identification to the exam, you will not be allowed to sit the test and you will lose your test fee.
- If you are under 18, please contact the test centre separately for a consent form. Failure to do so may result in an application being rejected.
The Academic test is usually taken by those applying for undergraduate and postgraduate courses and for professional registration.
Candidates may choose to take the General Training exam for immigration purposes or to undertake work experience in an English speaking country.
You should confirm which test you are expected to take with your receiving institution, which will be able to explain their entry requirements to you.
Please note: the above explanations are provided as a guide only.
If you want to apply by post, you can contact us to receive the IELTS application pack, or you can download the IELTS application form.
Payment can be sent with the application, either in the form of a cheque, credit card or postal order. Please make cheques payable to ‘University of Surrey’ and use the IELTS payment form.
You should also attach a photocopy of your passport or National ID card (European Union citizens only) to your application.
You can return your application and payment to:
- IELTS Administrator
University of Surrey Library & Learning Centre
School of Literature and Languages (15LC03)
If you have already sent your ID away for visa purposes, or may have to send it away before your test date, please do not make the payment for your test, but contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for advice.
Once you have made payment and submitted the copy of your ID, your test place will be confirmed, and if you arrive for your test without the identification you used for your application (a photocopy is not acceptable), you will not be able to take the test and you will lose your test fee.
If you cancel the test there is an administration fee of £35. If the cancellation is less than 14 days before the test, you will lose the whole fee unless you are able to provide medical evidence to support your application to cancel or postpone your test.
To apply for a refund before the 14 days period, please complete the IELTS request for refund or test date transfer form online and return to email@example.com.
To pay the £35 administration fee, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.