International Orientation Programme

International Orientation Programme 2018/19

Registration details will be released mid- June 2018.  

International Student Support invites all international (non-EU) students to attend a special orientation programme before the start of the University welcome week in order to help you settle in more easily. You will be able to register with the University, become familiar with the campus, including Guildford and the surrounding area. You will have the opportunity to socialise with other new international students and learn about life in the UK through a series of social events, trips, workshops and talks. These can range from the following: 

  • Campus tours: These campus tours are an excellent opportunity to see the facilities and services that we offer here at the University. The tours will be guided by our Student Life Mentors who can answer questions about student life and their experiences of learning at Surrey. 
  • Coach tour of Surrey: Get a taste of Guildford and Surrey through a guided coach tour that will take you through Boxhill, Polesden Lacey and other surrounding areas. 
  • Loseley Park: Have a traditional afternoon tea in one of Surrey's most historical homes. 
  • Walking tour of Guildford: Get to know the town you are studying in by attending a guided walk of Guildford, discovering its history and its architecture. 
  • Dapdune Wharf: Explore Guildford through a boat ride along the River Wey. 
  • Student Money Talk: Get some practical tips on how to make the most of your money and take advantage of the many discounts available in the UK. 
  • UK Study Workshop: We know that studying in a different country can be exciting, but also challenging at the same time. The workshop will address these challenges and identify the academic support available to you. 
  • Cultural Awareness: Cultural awareness is the foundation of communication in an increasingly globalised world. How you perceive yourself, your surroundings and the importance of certain actions will be discussed alongside some advice on how to interact with students and staff from a range of different backgrounds. 

One of the first things you should do when you have settled in is open a UK bank account. There are branches of all the major banks and building societies in Guildford and Santander Bank also has a branch on campus.

In order to open a bank account with Santander on campus you will need to bring the following with you:

  • Valid passport (or national ID card if you are from the EU – please note that some banks will only accept a passport from EU nationals)
  • Your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), if you have entered the UK on a short, 1-month visa, and are required to collect your BRP on arrival in the UK
  • Student ID card (obtained at registration, see above)

Banks off campus will also require:

  • A ‘Confirmation of Registration’ letter available from the Student Services Centre after you have completed the registration process at the University (please allow several days for this letter to be produced, particularly at the beginning of the semester and at other busy times of the year)
  • Confirmation of both your UK semester time address and your overseas home address. Evidence of this may be available on the above letter, from a recent bank statement from your home country or in your original offer letter.
  • A letter of introduction from your home bank or copies of the last six months’ bank statements (translated into English) are also helpful, although not essential.

The British Government requires foreign nationals aged 16 years or over from certain non-EEA countries and non-Commonwealth countries to register with the Police upon arrival in the UK. The list may change at any time, so please check the visa stamp in your passport as this is the best way to see if you need to register.

If you do need to register and you have not registered before during another course in the UK, you may be able to do this on campus. Do not be too concerned that the stamp says ‘within seven days’ because, as students of the University, you are given a small extension to this deadline. Please see our Current Students website for further details.

If you cannot attend one of the sessions on campus, you will need to go to the Surrey Police Headquarters in person:

Surrey Police Headquarters

Mount Browne, Sandy Lane, Guildford, Surrey GU3 1HG

Open 9:00am to 3:00pm from Monday to Friday

Call 101 and ask for the Nationality Department to arrange an appointment.

To get to Mount Browne you need to take a taxi or bus from the Bus Station in the centre of Guildford.

What documents will I need to prepare?

In order to register either on campus or at the Police Headquarters you need the following documents:

  • Your passport
  • One recent passport-size photograph
  • £34 registration fee (cash only)
  • Your University offer email
  • Electronic confirmation of your campus appointment

Once you have registered, your Police Registration Certificate will be sent to you at the address that you have given the Police. This is a very important document. Keep it with your passport at all times. It is essential that you make your initial registration as soon as you can upon arrival in the UK and that you inform the Police of any changes in your address or circumstances during your stay in the UK (failure to do so is a criminal offence).

How do I update my Police Registration Certificate?

You usually only need to register once! If you are moving to Guildford from another part of the country, if you move house during your studies at the University, or if there are any changes to your circumstances, such as getting a new passport or visa, you do not need to register again but you should update your existing Police Registration Certificate as soon as possible. You should go to the local police station in the centre of Guildford, a ten-minute walk from campus.

Guildford Police Station

Margaret Road, Guildford GU1 4QS

Open  8am - 10pm daily

No need to make an appointment

You will need to take with you:

  • Your passport
  • Current Police Registration Certificate
  • Proof of your new address (for example your accommodation allocation email, bank statement or a bill which has your name and new address on it)

The Police will keep your certificate and return it to you at your new address within three weeks. You will need to register again if:

  • You run out of space for the new address on the certificate, or
  • You leave the UK and return after a period of more than 12 months, or
  • You lose your original certificate

When do I need to show my Police Registration Certificate?

You will need to submit your Police Registration Certificate with any application for further leave to remain in the UK at a later date, so you must keep it updated at all times.

If, as soon as you start your studies at the University, you need to apply for a student visa extension and notify the Police of your change of address, it is important to get the timing right so please seek the advice of one of the International Student Support team as soon as possible.

Statistically, Guildford has a very low crime rate, and our campus is a safe environment in which to live and study. To help keep it this way, the University’s Security Department looks after the safety and protection of people and property on campus.

Operating 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, they work closely with local and national agencies, including the Police, to keep our campus safe and secure.

You should always have access to an electronic copy of the following during your stay in the UK and if you travel at any time during your course at the University:

  • Passport (identification and visa pages)
  • Credit card details
  • Insurance details
  • Copy of your travel tickets (if you are travelling overseas)
  • Your embassy’s contact details in London
  • Serial number of any valuable items such as camera/laptop etc

The National Health Service (NHS) is the state health care provider in the UK and provides a range of services.

If you are an EU/EEA student or an international student studying on a degree programme of six months or more you will normally be considered to be ‘ordinarily resident’ in the UK and have the same rights to free healthcare as a UK citizen.  Treatment on the NHS is free (except for prescriptions, eye tests and glasses, and dental treatment). Your family may also be eligible for free health care on the NHS if they are in the UK as your dependants (they will not be eligible if they come to the UK as visitors). Prescriptions for medicine currently cost £8.20 per item.  

From 6 April 2015, the UK Government has introduced a new Immigration Health Surcharge for all non-EEA nationals who apply to come to the UK to work, study or join family for a time-limited period of more than 6 months.  It will also be paid by non-EEA nationals who are already in the UK and apply to extend their stay.  Full information can be found here.

EU students must show their EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) when seeking medical treatment at a hospital, to prove your entitlement to free treatment.  This card must be obtained in your home country before coming to the UK.

You can register with Guildowns University Medical Centre on campus or a local doctor (general practitioner, or GP) if you are living off campus. This can be done any time after arrival at the University but we suggest that you do this as part of the registration process when you first arrive.  You must complete the NHS registration form and provide proof of identification.  The registration process will be explained more fully when you arrive on campus.

If you are studying on a programme of study of less than six months, you will not be covered by the NHS except for emergency treatment.  You are advised to take out private health insurance, unless you are from an EU country or a country with a reciprocal health agreement.

It is important to let the doctor know of any significant medical problems as soon as possible, so that appropriate arrangements can be made for your support. In particular, the doctor would need to know about any important on-going problems such as diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, mental health problems etc. You should bring with you any medical notes you have concerning your illness, together with enough medication for a least the first month.

Please note that styles of medical care may vary from country to country. The NHS is a limited service and might not be able to continue any operative procedure that has been planned in another country.

The University Medical Centre is open from 8:30am to 6:00pm, Monday to Friday, throughout the year except on Wednesday afternoons. Routine appointments can be made to see a doctor or nurse by booking with reception.

A pharmacy is also a useful source of information and a pharmacist can provide basic medications for minor illnesses such as colds, coughs or hay fever - over-the-counter medicines may also be cheaper than prescription medication.  There are several local pharmacies near the University. You should make an appointment to see the doctor if symptoms persist.  You can also call the NHS 111 service for help and advice by simply dialing 111 at any time or visit their website.