International Orientation Programme
International Orientation Programme 2018/19
(Please note: if you are an Erasmus/Exchange/Study Abroad Student, you are required to attend the EESA Orientation Programme)
International Student Support invites all international (non-EU) students to attend an orientation programme before the start of the University welcome week in order to help you settle in more easily. You will be able to register with the University, become familiar with the campus, including Guildford and the surrounding area. You will have the opportunity to socialise with other new international students and learn about life in the UK through a series of social events, trips, workshops and talks. Activities include:
- Campus tours: These campus tours are an excellent opportunity to see the facilities and services that we offer here at the University. The tours will be guided by our Student Life Mentors who can answer questions about student life and their experiences of learning at Surrey.
- Wisley Park: Relax in one of the most beautiful English gardens of the Royal Horticultural Society. You will be able to see their famous Glasshouse, visit their quaint their coffee shops and take part in their yearly sculpture trail.
- Loseley Park: Have a traditional afternoon tea in one of Surrey's most historical homes.
- Walking tour of Guildford: Get to know the town you are studying in by attending a guided walk of Guildford, discovering its history and its architecture.
- International Welcome Dinner: This Dinner is held on the last of the Orientation to get all international students together. It is a good opportunity to continue to meet more students, get to know staff from International Student Support, have some food and win some prizes!
- Student Money Talk: Get some practical tips on how to make the most of your money and take advantage of the many discounts available in the UK.
- UK Academic Skills Workshop: We know that studying in a different country can be exciting, but also challenging at the same time. The workshop will address these challenges and identify the academic support available to you.
- Cultural Awareness: Cultural awareness is the foundation of communication in an increasingly globalised world. How you perceive yourself, your surroundings and the importance of certain actions will be discussed alongside some advice on how to interact with students and staff from a range of different backgrounds.
- International Student Information Fayre: This fayre brings together the many organisations that work with international students to make their stay in the UK as enjoyable and welcoming as possible, for example HOST UK.
International Student Support: Eventbrite Policy
International Student Support utilise third-party services for large scale events that require advance booking.
We use Eventbrite for the following events:
- Meet and Greet
- International Orientation Programme
- Document Checking Sessions
- Visa Extension Sessions.
Eventbrite is a third-party service that is not owned or managed by the University of Surrey. Eventbrite operates in the United States of America. When you book one of our events using Eventbrite, your data is transferred and processed by the relevant third party service, which means in this case that your data is transferred outside the EEA. Eventbrite are committed to the EU-US Privacy Shield Framework which requires adherence to European standards of data privacy. Further information can be found below:
Alternative methods of booking
If you wish to attend one of our events but do not wish to register using Eventbrite, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org where you will be required to fill out a manual booking form.