The Secure Remote Access service enables staff to securely access University resources whilst off-campus. These include:
- Personal and Shared central filestore including S: and H: drive
- University of Surrey Intranet including SurreyNet and SharePoint
- Library resources such as E-Journals and Exam Papers
- Corporate Applications such as Agresso and Publications Database (Symplectic)
- IT Services web tools including Online IT training courses and Printing (EMOS)
Accessing your home directory
Select Personal Filestore to access your filestore held at the University. You will then be able to download or upload files between your own computer and your filestore held at the University.
Connecting to other resources not listed
If you would like to connect to another resource not listed, then enter the address in the browse box. For example:
Download a single file
- Browse to and click the name of the file you want to download.
- In the Save As dialog box, browse to the directory on your computer where you want to save the file, enter a name in the File name field, and click Save.
Download multiple files and/or folders
- Browse to and select the files and/or folders you want to download by clicking on their respective checkboxes and click Download.
- Specify a name for the .zip file that the secure gateway saves in your local directory and click Download.
The data you request is transferred as a single compressed .zip file from which you can extract the collection of files and/or folders you want to download.
Note: If you have not already specified a default local target directory for downloading files, you are presented a Save As dialog where you can specify a local download target directory.
Uploading Files and/or Folders
To upload files and/or folders from your own computer:
1. Browse to the Personal filestore directory where you want to save the files and/or folders.
2. Click Upload File to access the upload page.
3. On the upload page, click Browse to locate and select the files you want to save on the network.
Note: You can specify up to five individual files using the fields available and specify names for them on the network by entering their names in the respective Save As fields. You cannot upload folders without first creating a .zip file in a local directory containing the folder(s) you want to upload. After creating the .zip file, you can upload the zipped file containing the folder(s). If you want to upload more than five files and/or folders, you can create a .zip file in a local directory, browse to it, and upload it to the network. You can even have the contents of the .zip file you create automatically decompressed during the upload process by turning on the Uncompress .zip option when you browse to the .zip file. You can only upload a maximum of 500 MB of data at a time.
4. Click Upload. The files you selected are uploaded and saved using the names you specified on the Save As fields or the names displayed in your local directory.
Note: If a file or folder with the same name already exists in the directory and you do not specify a name, the uploaded file is saved with the name: filename.timestamp.ext. To overwrite an existing file or folder, you must enter the name in the Save As field. For example, to overwrite a file named hello.txt, you must enter hello.txt in the Save As field.
5. After the files are uploaded, click Close in the Upload Status window.
Connecting to Secure Remote Access
To connect to the Secure Remote Access service visit https://remote.surrey.ac.uk and login using your IT account username and password.
When logging in make sure you set the 'Realm' to 'Active Directory'.
The Home page screen shown below will appear.
ou can use the buttons on the top right corner to:
- Go back to the home page
- Set up the page as you would like to view it
- Get more information on how to use Remote Access
- Log out of this remote session
Installing Network Connect / Pulse Secure
Help and Support
For help and support contact the IT Service Desk on 01483 689898 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.