General queries about Library Services
- How can I renew my books?
For further information, please see our Borrowing page.
- How do I get a replacement campus card and how much does it cost?
- Replacement campus cards can be obtained from the Ask Me desk on Level 1 of the Learning Centre during library staffed hours.
A charge of £8.50 will be made for the replacement of a lost card. Please visit our campus card page for more information.
- Where can I top-up my campus card with photocopying/print credits?
- The print credit machine is on Level 1 in the Whispers Café area (see Library Level 1 floor plan). You can also top-up your print credit online (minimum spend £5).
- How can I have access to the Library if I am no longer a student?
- University of Surrey alumni living in the UK can apply for free external membership to the Library. To do this, you can either log in to your Alumni account and request your alumni library card or contact the Alumni office in Senate House.
Alumni may have visitor access to our online resources, but cannot access electronic journals or databases off-campus.
Finding Information for Your Study
- How do I find a book or journal?
Use SurreySearch to explore our print and electronic collections, and to find the shelf mark and location for physical books. If you are searching for items on a particular topic, use a keyword search. Books in heavy demand are reference only and are inter-filed with the main collection.
There is specific information on finding and using information on the Subjects web page; you can also pick up our handy library bookmark from the Support Hub and Ask Me desk on Level 1 on 'How to find a book in 5 steps.'
- Can I borrow DVDs and CDs?
- All CDs and DVDs are available as 1 day loans and are stored in lockable boxes on Learning Centre Level 2.
There is a self-service kiosk up on this level and unlocking device by the DVDs.
You can also borrow DVDs and CDs by using the self-service kiosks on Level 1. The external boxes should be unlocked manually after leaving the exit gates, using the 'swipe through' un-locker located on the opposite wall.
You can return CDs and DVDs unlocked through the self-return system as usual. Please ensure you check that the CD/DVD disc is in the box when you return it.
Staff may borrow AV material for up to a week on a temporary basis for teaching purposes, by prior arrangement with the relevant Faculty Engagement Librarian.
NB: It is illegal to copy any media format using the library AV equipment. Anyone found copying media will be liable to Library disciplinary procedures.
- How can I find out more about my subject?
- Your subject page provides links to key subject resources available both in the library and online (accessible on and off campus), guides about using information for your studies, and links to additional resources.
- Why do I have to pay fines for books which are late back?
- Due to the number of students at the University, the Library has a high demand for its books and resources. It is therefore important that books are returned on time in fairness to other users.We automatically renew items on your behalf to avoid unnecessary late fees- the only time you will be fined is if an item has been reserved by another user and is not returned on time. We will periodically email you with an account summary and you will be notified by email when a book has been requested by another user. These however are courtesy emails and it is ultimately your responsibility to check your account which can be done online.
- What do you do with the money that you raise from fines?
The money that we raise from fines is used to purchase additional materials (books, CDs, etc.) or equipment (DVD players, etc.) for the library’s users.
- Why did you charge me for losing my campus card?
- Your campus card is your responsibility as a University of Surrey student. When this card is lost, you are liable to pay for the cost of a replacement. The reason why we charge for replacing lost cards is because of the costs involved when producing a new one (the card itself, the equipment to produce it, and staff time to amend your record). If your card is stolen, rather than misplaced, we are happy to re-issue at no additional cost if you can produce a crime number and police statement. Your card will also be replaced if it is damaged through normal wear and tear. Please see our web pages for further information on replacing a campus card.
- Why did you charge me for losing a book?
- You are responsible for any books borrowed on your library account, so when books are reported as lost, you are liable to pay for the cost of a replacement which is £70 per item.
- Why do you charge for photocopying?
As you would expect, we need to recoup the costs associated with providing a photocopying service (machines, paper, toner, etc.). We review the cost of photocopying from time to time and adjust it in light of the rates charged by other local suppliers.
Remember that the copying facilities in the Library are of a higher quality and more flexible than those in local newsagents, etc.
Please see printing and photocopying costs for our current rates.