New leadership structure for University of Surrey sharpens focus on international partnerships and reputation
- New President and Vice-Chancellor, Professor Max Lu, has realigned the University’s leadership team to boost international reputation and partnerships
New President and Vice-Chancellor, Professor Max Lu, has today announced a reorganisation of the senior management team at the University of Surrey, including two new leadership roles focused on boosting international reputation and relationships.
Professor Vince Emery, current Pro Vice-Chancellor, International Relations, has been appointed to the newly created position of Senior Vice-President, Global Strategy and Engagement. In this role, Professor Emery will deliver a new international strategy for the University that will enhance Surrey’s global reputation and standing. It will focus on non-UK student recruitment, research collaborations and business and academic partnerships.
Greg Melly, current Vice-President, Enterprise and Growth, has been appointed to Senior Vice-President, Advancements and Partnerships. He will create and lead ambitious plans to grow the University’s portfolio of strategic partners to ensure sustainable growth. He will take the lead on a number of strategic projects and will oversee engagement with alumni, philanthropists and supporters.
The realignment will help boost the University’s global reputation for teaching, research and collaborations, and diversify and increase its resources to ensure Surrey’s future growth.
President and Vice-Chancellor, Professor Max Lu, commented: “These leadership changes will drive forward our aim to become a world-class university within a decade, renowned for outstanding teaching, research and innovation of global scale and significance.
“It will provide the direction and leadership required to forge new partnerships and research collaborations with academic institutions and businesses both in the UK and overseas. Such partnerships will be pivotal as the University extends its global footprint over the coming years.
“Strong engagement with the broader spectrum of the University community including Alumni and philanthropists, and supporters both locally and internationally, will be important part of our mission going forward”, Professor Lu added.
These newly created roles form part of a wider restructure of the University’s Executive team, which now comprises:
- President and Vice-Chancellor: Professor Max Lu
- Provost and Executive Vice-President: Professor Michael Kearney
- Three Executive Deans: Professor David Allen (Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences); Professor Lisa Roberts (Faculty of Health and Medical Science); Professor Jonathan Seville (Faculty of Engineering and Physical Sciences)
- Vice-Provost, Research and Innovation: Atti Emecz (interim)
- Vice-Provost, Education: Recruitment underway
- Vice-Provost, Academic Administration: Dr David Ashton
- Senior Vice-President, Global Strategy and Engagement: Professor Vince Emery
- Senior Vice-President, Advancement and Partnerships: Greg Melly
- Vice-President, Human Resources: Paul Stephenson
- Vice-President, Marketing and Communications: Mike Hounsell
- Chief Operating Officer: David Sharkey
- Chief Finance Officer