Health and wellbeing

Your health and wellbeing is important during your time at the University of Surrey, read our guidance to make sure you access the support you need.

Register with a GP

We recommend that all students register with a local doctor while you are at university. Please note that the Guildowns Medical Practice, which has a ‘university’ surgery on campus, is not currently able to register new patients.

View a map of these surgeries on Google Maps.

There are four GP practices that currently cover the University campus and surrounding areas:

Woodbridge Hill Surgery
Deerbarn Road
Tel: 01483 573194

Dapdune House Surgery
Wharf Road
Tel: 01483 400200
Please note, this Surgery can only accept applications from students living on Stag Hill campus.

Fairlands Medical Practice
Fairlands Avenue
Tel: 01483 594250

St Luke’s Surgery
Warren Road
Tel: 01483 510030

You can also use the NHS service search on their website or call 0300 311 22 33.

For urgent but non-emergency treatment, a walk-in service is available at the Woking Community Hospital. The Hospital is located just a few minutes from Woking Rail Station, which is on a direct line from Guildford Rail Station (10 minute train). Get directions on Google Maps.

You can also seek advice on self-care and over the counter drugs from any one of the local pharmacies in Guildford including:

  • Direct Pharmacy
  • Boots Chemist
  • Tescos Pharmacy
  • Lloyds Pharmacy.

View a map of these pharmacies on Google Maps.

If you require urgent medical attention you should call 999 or visit the Accident and Emergency Department at the Royal Surrey County Hospital (located next to Tesco and opposite Surrey Sports Park and Manor Park).

Any difficulties?

You should not encounter any difficulty registering with one of the GPs listed above. If you do, please contact the local NHS – the Guildford and Waverley Clinical Commissioning Group – who offer advice and guidance, and have assured us that all students will be able to register with one of the local GP practices.

Check your vaccinations are up to date

Most UK-born students will have received the two doses of the MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) and polio vaccines as children, but you should check your health records to make sure and ask your GP practice to give you the vaccinations if necessary.

In addition, all first-time university students up to the age of 25 are eligible for the Men ACWY vaccine that protects against four different causes of meningitis and septicaemia – meningococcal A, C, W and Y diseases.

We recommend that you contact your existing doctor for vaccination against Men ACWY, ideally before the start of the academic year, however it can be provided to you when you get here if needed.

More information about the Meningitis ACWY vaccination and the MMR vaccination is available on the NHS Choices website.

Your wellbeing

The Centre for Wellbeing supports your health and emotional/psychological wellbeing during your time at Surrey. Our services are free to students and confidential.

We are open Monday to Friday from 8am to 5pm and you can access any of our services by visiting us in person, telephoning 01483 689498, or emailing

We offer:

  • Health and wellbeing advice
  • Guidance on the management of stress
  • A consultation with a counsellor
  • Advice on the management of mental health issues
  • Workshops for wellbeing
  • Health and wellbeing promotion initiatives and events

We can also provide expert advice and information on the following areas:

  • Mental health
  • Eating disorders
  • Domestic abuse
  • Sexual assault

Counselling consultations

A consultation with a counsellor can help with emotional and psychological issues. It’s an opportunity to talk something through, reflect and find a way forward. A counsellor will explore collaboratively with you what will best help, whether that will be self-help, a referral to the most appropriate service or agency, or a follow-up counselling consultation at the Centre for Wellbeing.