The University of Surrey is now a registered Office for Students provider
The University of Surrey is proud to announce that we are now Office for Students (OfS) Registered. This means we meet the OfS requirements for course quality, academic standards, student support, student protection and more. This government recognition of the quality and value of a Surrey degree is firm evidence of our continued and strengthening commitment to excellence in teaching and student experience.
Recent changes to governance mean that the OfS is now the regulator of higher education in England. OfS will focus on the interests of students, particularly on enhancing student experience and outcomes, and delivering value for money for both students and for taxpayers.
Acceptance onto this registration is contingent upon an institution’s meeting stringent standards in multiple areas. The University is required to:
- Provide well designed courses that deliver a high quality academic experience for all students
- Support our students from admission through to completion
- Award qualifications that hold their value over time, in line with recognised standards
- Ensure students’ outcomes are valued by employers, or enable further study
- Pay regard to guidance about how to comply with consumer protection law
- Have a published student protection plan setting out the risks of course, campus or provider closure and how it will protect students’ interests in this event
- Have the financial resources to provide and deliver the courses advertised
- Have the management and governance arrangements necessary to provide and deliver the courses advertised.
Alongside this, the University must also offer access to a variety of benefits for students and staff alike, such as public grants in the form of government funding for teaching or research, and student support loans from the government.
Significantly, this registration indicates that external organisations, as well as our own staff and students, recognise that we fully embody the values set forth by the OfS.
Professor Jane Powell, Vice-Provost for Education and Students, said: “This excellent news reflects an enormous amount of work by colleagues in Quality Enhancement and Standards, Student Services and Administration, Strategic Planning, Widening Participation and Outreach, and the Secretariat & Legal team - they all deserve great credit for the efficiency and collegiality with which they assembled our application.”
For more information see www.officeforstudents.org.uk/the-register